Magazine outlines home insurance need when renovating

30 July 2007
It is important that people renovating their properties make sure they have the right home insurance policies before starting the job, it has been claimed.

While some smaller jobs will be covered as part of their existing cover plan, it may be that larger work needs a specialist deal to ensure a home is protected, according to Homebuilding & Renovation magazine.

Jason Orme, editor of the publication, said: ""If you're doing a loft conversion or a small extension, that tends to be something that you can get specialist small-level insurance for … but it's very important that it is insured."

And this news follows a DCLG English Home Condition Survey in 2005 which found that 27.1 per cent of privately-owned homes were unsuitable to be lived in and needed around £7,500 in improvements.

Homebuilding & Renovations is the biggest-selling magazine for self builders in the UK.

Find out more about insurance

track© Adfero Ltd