This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

74% of pet owners without pet insurance could pay the price this bonfire night

30 October 2008 / by Rebecca Sargent
As bonfire night approaches, is reminding pet owners to protect their pockets and their pets with pet insurance.

In a recent poll of more than 2,000 people found that of those who owned a pet, only 26 per cent actually have pet insurance policies in place, leaving the remaining 74 per cent of pet owners open to unexpected vet bills.

Bonfire night is a busy time of year for vets, who reported 682 incidents of animals treated for distress and injuries between October and November in 2004, according to the RSPCA.

Fireworks are the main cause of distress to animals on bonfire night, in fact, according to the RSPCA, up to 45 per cent of dogs in the UK show fearful behaviour when they hear fireworks.

Commenting on the effect bonfire night and fireworks can have on pets spokesperson Rachael Stiles, said: "Fireworks can cause extreme anxiety for pets, which could lead to illnesses such as depression and fatigue which may need a vet's attention.

"For the 74 per cent of pet owners without pet insurance, this could cause financial issues at this time of year. Most pet insurance policies will offer some degree of vet's fees and treatment for the symptoms caused by fear of fireworks, so pet insurance is worth looking into to cut down on unexpected costs."

Other precautions that pet owners can take to ensure the comfort of their pet during firework season include:

• Keeping pets indoors during firework displays

• Keeping some background noise on

• Keeping a pet company and offering reassurance

• Using the RSPCA's Sounds Scary! to help dogs become acquainted with sudden loud noises

"As pet owners face tough financial times it is not surprising that so many are without pet insurance. However, comparing a range of quotes can really help people to find the best available deal for them.

"Our easy to use comparison service compares a range of features including excess, the level of vets fees covered and the online discount offered so you can be sure you are getting the best pet insurance deal," Miss Stiles added.

Compare pet insurance >>

Survey conducted by OnePoll for with 2,511 respondents in August 2008.