Cornhill Direct: Parents should check contents insurance policy to cover partying students

18 September 2007
Parents are being advised to check their home and contents insurance policies before taking out cover for their student children to avoid needlessly paying out twice, as their policy may well provide enough cover for their son or daughter at university.

A recent survey commissioned by Cornhill Direct which questioned 1000 students about their university lifestyles has revealed that the need for cover is even greater thanks to the amount of partying that students typically do.

However, it comes as no surprise that almost a third of students spend more time partying than studying. But with the average student absent from their digs at least three evenings a week and missing around four lectures a month recovering from their partying, the risk of their rooms being burgled increases.

Home Office statistics show that young people between the ages of 16 and 24 are three times more likely to be victims of burglary than any other age group with one in three students becoming the victim of a crime each year.

Mark Bishop, spokesman for Cornhill Direct, comments: “We know from the insurance claims we receive from parents that the university lifestyle can leave students vulnerable to theft from their rooms. These days, students take a lot of electrical kit to university such as laptops, MP3 players and mobile phones, so they do need to be insured.”

The survey also found that students spend on average £102 on books or course equipment during a typical term and a fortunate one-in-ten students even get a helping hand from their parents who give them money to help fund their nights out.

Mr Bishop adds: “I suspect our survey confirms what many parents already suspected - a lot of partying goes on at university."

Learn more about home and contents insurance