Homeowners are being warned to take out adequate home insurance in time for Christmas after Halifax Home Insurance found electrical fires increase over the festive period.
Research by the insurance provider found electrical fires, many of which were caused by flashing lights, rise by a third over Christmas.
Vicky Emmott from Halifax Home Insurance, said: "Every Christmas we receive thousands of phone calls from customers who have had fire damage to their properties.
"A large proportion of these claims can be attributed to faulty Christmas lights.
"We advise people to check that all Christmas lights meet the relevant British safety standards before putting them up."
The survey also found 14 million neighbours thought flashing festive lights "dampen Christmas spirit", while one and a half million Brits said the effect of their neighbours' lights was so severe, it caused them stress and disrupted their sleep patterns.
Halifax Home Insurance found Brits love Christmas so much, that we could spend up to £600 million this year on decorations.To read more about Home Insurance, click here.
© Adfero Ltd