This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Keep covered on your bike

20 June 2007
As cycling takes off across the UK as a greener, cheaper and healthier way to get around, peddlers must make sure they're covered for accidents, has warned.

Biking enthusiasts are at risk of accidents, with 2,000 cyclists involved in serious accidents last year.

Getting stand-alone cover or extending home contents cover for your bike will ensure the cost of whatever damage your bike could suffer in a collision or crash is recouped, the finance site advised.

Other insurance products to consider adding to the package are personal accident cover and third-party cover.

"It's important to consider how well insured your bike is, just as you would your car," commented's insurance director, Richard Mason.

Insurers such as Lloyds TSB or will cover a bicycle under home contents insurance for around £20 per year extra, he said, while E&L Insurance offers stand-alone comprehensive cover including personal injury and third party cover for £56.50 a year.

Getting on your bike is only set to grow in popularity with the arrival of the Tour de France in London for the first time ever on the weekend of July 7th and 8th.

Find out more about accident insurance

track© Adfero Ltd