This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Read more

Students 'should look to take out home insurance'

29 August 2007
Those moving into private halls of residence this September may want to consider adding contents cover to their home insurance policies, it has been claimed.

According to Manchester Student Homes, such accommodation may offer "safety in numbers", but students may also benefit from insuring individual items with their policies.

Some residences could offer insurance as part of the price of rent, but a representative from the company commented that people should look to take out cover "wherever they are living".

"We always suggest that you take out contents insurance; there is a chance that you will become a victim of crime. I would suggest that it is important for a student to take [it] out," said Cooper Healey, manager of the group.

Manchester Student Homes is an organisation funded by Manchester University and Manchester Metropolitan University which oversees accommodation standards for those in higher education in the city.

Find out more about insurance

track© Adfero Ltd