AA breakdown cover
With AA breakdown cover you can choose a package to suit your requirements. Depending on which level of cover you choose, benefits of choosing AA breakdown insurance include:
- 24 hour roadside recovery assistance with 98 out of 10 cars fixed by the roadside
- Home Start cover – get your vehicle moving if it breaks down at your home
- Track your AA patrol with a unique breakdown app
- Get up to 20% in over 700 restaurants, pubs and service stations by showing your AA members card
- Transport you and your car home or to any mainland UK destination if your car cannot be promptly repaired
- Onward Travel – If you're away from home, AA breakdown cover will provide a replacement car for up to 48 hours, overnight accommodation, or onward travel if a local repair isn't possible.
- Free fuel top-ups
- Mud and snow recovery
- Up to £5 worth of free parts for roadside repairs
Things to think about when looking at breakdown cover
Some providers won’t just cover you if your car breaks down. Some can provide you with assistance if you get stuck in the snow or mud, or they can help you if you lose your keys or you put the wrong fuel in car things which could occur in even a brand new car.
As a general rule insurers offer different levels of breakdown cover:
- Roadside assistance: Often the cheapest level of cover, it will provide you with a certain amount of time of free labour at the roadside. If the vehicle cannot be fixed you will be towed either home or to a nearby garage. Some more comprehensive policies will take you to your intended destination.
- Home Assistance: If an accident occurs close to your home (often within a quarter to one mile radius) or it won’t start when you’re leaving home a roadside assistance policy will not cover you, for these in stances you would need a package that includes home assistance.
- Onward Travel: If your car cannot be repaired at the roadside and needs expairs that could take a while at a garage, having cover for onward travel could mean that your provider would provide you with a hire car for a period of time, or would even pay for the costs of you staying overnight in nearby accommodation while repairs are made to your vehicle so you can carry on going.
In addition to considering how comprehensive you want your cover to be, you should decide if you want a policy taken out on a specific vehicle or for an individual, or set of individuals, so they are covered in any vehicle they are driving.