Is Age Concern home insurance right for you?
Age Concern is now known as Age UK and has joined forces with Norwich Union to specifically cater for the over 50s. If you fall in this age bracket, you may find certain discounts apply, which could help reduce the cost of your policy while offering you peace of mind.
Buildings and Contents insurance can cover you against a multitude of unexpected events which can leave you with high costs in repairs or the replacements of items.
Home insurance typically covers you against:
- Weather damage
- Theft or attempted break-in
- Riots and malicious damage
- Falling trees or branches
- Water or oil leaks
- Collisions by any vehicle
Your buildings cover will take care of the structure of your buildings, the walls and floors as well as any permanent fixtures, whereas contents cover will take care of your actual belongings.
Age UK Home Insurance Review
Some of the advantages of choosing Ag UK, include:
- 24 hour domestic assistance service which means an authorised repairer will visit your home
- Identity theft helpline service
- 24 hour legal helpline
- Optional voluntary excess which can reduce your insurance premium
Features of Age UK Home Insurance
Age UK offer both contents and buildings insurance separately.
- Buildings are covered up to £500,000 rebuilding costs and covers: fixtures, fittings, paths, drives, patios, garages, outbuildings, and garden walls
- Trace and access for the source of leaks is included
- Property owners liability up to £3,000,000 is included
- Your contents are covered up to £60,000 but additional contents cover is available up to £100,000 if you need a higher level of coverage
- Your contents cover included: household goods, valuables, money, and credit cards
- Rent and alternative accommodation covered
- Replacement of external locks and missing keys
- Counselling cover up to £1000
- Garden cover up to £1500
- Freezer food up to £1000
- Add accidental damage cover for buildings and contents for an additional cost
Age UK offer a number of additional extras if you need a higher level of coverage.
- Accidental Damage to Buildings and Contents
- Home Emergency Cover, up to £1,500
- Personal legal Protection Cover up to £100,000
See the Age UK website for additional options plus more details.
What is an Excess?
An excess is the sum you have to pay when you claim on your insurance. Normally, the cheaper the insurance the higher the excess or more restrictions are applied when it comes to claiming.Age UK require you to pay an excess when you make a claim, but they also offer the option of paying a voluntary excess which can help you to lower your insurance premium.
Generally, there are two kinds of excess: a compulsory excess and a voluntary excess. Compulsory means that your insurer will set the price and you must pay it whereas voluntary excess is set by you.
Remember to set your voluntary excess carefully. If you're willing to contribute a large amount towards a claim, your insurer will reward you with a lower premium, but this could make claiming on your policy more expensive.