What is Home Insurance?
Home Insurance is a non-compulsory form of property insurance which is designed to protect against damage to your property or to the belongings within your home.
Various policies exist which range from basic cover of the structure of the property to also covering your contents as well as liability cover against accidents. There are many providers of home insurance, so make sure you look around for the one most suited to your needs.
What Can be Insured?
Home insurance can be very basic or cover a lot more depending on your provider and what polices you take out. The are two main types of home insurance that most homeowners use - building cover and contents cover.
This covers the actual structure of the building. The walls, windows, floor and roof and will also include permanent features such as the kitchen and bathroom set. Policies do vary but this kind of cover will normally insure your property against flooding, burst pipes, theft, fires and weather damage.
Extra cover can normally be added if you need and many people like to also take out accidental damage cover, making a well-rounded security policy for your home.
Most families will have content in their property valuing over £20,000. Many families have a great deal more. The idea of replacing these items due to flooding, theft, leakage, natural disasters is a worrying thought for many. Contents insurance removes this worry.
It will normally cover everything from jewellery to carpets, curtains and electronic devices. Always read your policy carefully because every insurer will have a limit on what they are willing to pay out, so make sure your policy is adequate to cover what you need it to.
You can usually get these two types of cover as a joint policy from one insurance company or you can buy both types of insurance independently.
Aviva Home Insurance Review Features
- Their standard policy contains building and contents insurance
- Defaqto 5 star rated cover
- Home Emergency Cover - They will be with you 2 hours after your call to secure your home after a theft
- Standard contents cover up to £50,000 but this limit can be increased up to £250,000 depending on property and postcode.
- A UK based claims team which operate 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and access to a legal and tax helpline
- Owner’s/Occupier’s liability
- Alternative accommodation found and covered, if necessary
- Contents insurance includes garden possessions
Optional Cover extras include:
- Accidental damage
- Protected no claims discount
- Personal belongings cover (in and away from home)
- Home emergency
- Legal services
- Pedal cycles option
- Additional garden cover
Useful to know
- There is a cancellation fee
- Can pay annually or in instalments but interest is charged on payments via instalment
Why do I need it?
No one expects their home or contents to come to any damage and so very few people are financially prepared for an emergency or theft. Repairing your home or re-buying lost contents can be expensive so it can be a relief to know you are covered given any eventuality.
Make sure you read the fine print of policies well as more and more companies are now excluding certain things which you may need.