Types of fleet van insurance
When you are responsible for insuring multiple vehicles for a company, choosing the right level of cover is vital. The three basic policy options for your fleet van insurance will include:
- Third party only insurance – this is the minimum level of vehicle insurance required by law in the UK and covers damage to property or injury to others caused by your vehicle. However, it doesn’t cover damage to your own vehicles
- Third party fire and theft – this type of insurance covers the same things as third party only insurance, with the addition of cover for damage to your vehicle by fire or the loss of your vehicle through theft
- Comprehensive insurance – this type of insurance will cover you for the same eventualities as third party fire and theft, plus loss or damage to your vehicle, personal effects cover, windscreen damage, accidental damage, and even medical expenses.
What does fleet van insurance cover?
Things covered by fleet van insurance policies could include:
- For customers with fleets of 5 vehicles or more, some fleet van insurance policies will provide a selection of risk management support including van tracking systems
- 24 hour van accident recovery
- Medical expenses for injury caused in an accident
- Cover for a variety of van usage including carriage of own goods, carriage of goods for hire or reward, and haulage
- New for old cover on vans less than 12 months old
- Van Breakdown cover
- Cover for item carried in the van such as tools or goods
- Van windscreen repair or replacement
- Courtesy vans are often available in the event of an accident, providing that the van has not been written off
- Legal expenses cover - If you get into an accident in your van that is not your fault, you will want to claim back your excess and other costs, for example vehicle hire, from the negligent driver. Most importantly, the recovery of these costs will maintain your no-claims bonus.
To find the best deal for your fleet, use our independent online fleet van insurance quote service, which offers:
- Quotes from major UK fleet van insurers
- An extensive range of cover and pricing options
- Specific options and conditions for many different types of business
Insurance companies provide fleet van insurance either as an expanded part of their standard policies or as specialist policies depending on vehicle use. Check out some of the latest deals on fleet van insurance in the table above.