To trade shares in FTSE-listed companies you will need access to a stockbroker to buy and sell shares. Share dealing accounts provide investors with direct access to shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. These shares are organised into different indices depending on their size and capitalisation (financial size), including the FTSE 100 Index of the largest companies and FTSE AIM series of smaller companies.
Share dealing accounts are are offered by banks and building societies as well as other financial institutions. Accounts may offer some of the following services:
- 24 hour access to your account online or over the phone
- Options to deal online or by phone
- Access to a wide range of UK shares, in the FTSE indices
- Market alerts and research tool
- Access to international trading markets