For some providers of home insurance, working from home represents an increased risk of having to make a payout and this will translate into higher premiums. Many companies, however, will allow an individual to extend their contents cover or will offer them a more specific policy.
It is worth noting that many insurance companies are also beginning to provide IT support services, and as the majority of working at home will utilise computers, this could turn out to be a particularly savvy purchase.
There are two types of contents cover home insurance policies for those working at home:
- Indemnity insurance will provide money fro damaged or stolen items, but will take into account the age of the item and the wear and tear
- ‘new for old’ will replace damaged or stolen items with new ones
Further important questions to ask while comparing home insurance quotes are:
- Is there an emergency helpline?
- Is there a no claims discount?
- Is there a discount for applying online?
- What exactly is the level of the cover provided?