Choosing insurance for small vans
However small your van, if you use the van to transport goods from one location to another, or for any other work-based purpose, it is likely that you will require specialist van insurance. If you use a small van for work you may also be carrying tools, equipment, or high value goods, all of which mean you should consider specialist insurance to protect you and your business if your small van is broken into, damaged or stolen.
What is covered by small van insurance?
Things covered by a good small van insurance policy could include:
- Cover for the goods carried in the van
- 24 hour accident recovery
- Medical expenses for injury caused in an accident
- New for old cover on small vans less than 12 months old
- Van breakdown cover
- Cover for item carried in the van such as tools or work equipment
- Windscreen repair or replacement
- Legal expenses cover
Types of van insurance
Policy options for your van insurance include:
Third party only insurance – this is the minimum level of vehicle insurance required by law in the UK and covers damage to property or injury to others caused by your vehicle. However, it doesn’t cover damage to your own vehicle.
Third party fire and theft
– this type of insurance covers the same things as third party only insurance, with the addition of cover for damage to your vehicle by fire or the loss of your vehicle through theft
Comprehensive insurance – this type of insurance will cover you for the same eventualities as third party fire and theft, plus loss or damage to your vehicle, personal effects cover, windscreen damage, accidental damage, and even medical expenses.
Telematics insurance – this type of insurance involves installing a ‘black box’ in your vehicle that tracks how you drive, meaning that you could receive cheaper premiums for showing safe driving behaviours
In the table above you can compare some of the cheapest van insurance deals on the market and apply online.