Is Legal and General home insurance right for you?
Legal & General home insurance provides comprehensive cover for your home and/or possessions depending on your personal requirements. Legal & General offer a range of policy options so you can build a home insurance plan that suits you, including buildings insurance, contents insurance and joint buildings and contents insurance.
Policy-holders can take advantage of the following:
- The choice to pay monthly or annually
- UK-based call centres
- A 24-hour legal and domestic helpline
- An online payment portal for fast, easy policy renewals
Choosing a Legal & General home insurance policy
Legal & General understands that not everyone wants the same thing from their home insurance policy. That’s why they offer two levels of cover: Essential and Extra. This allows you to choose a policy that protects everything you need at an affordable price. You can also choose from several additional cover options to help build a truly comprehensive insurance policy.
Essentials Home Insurance
Legal and General Home Insurance Essentials allows you to cover the basics on a budget. This policy covers you against all the important essentials, like fire, flood and theft. Your contents and buildings are covered up to an amount based on the information you provide.
Features of Essentials Cover
- Cover for theft of personal money in the home up to £100
- Replacement locks if keys are stolen up to £500
- Theft from outbuildings is covered up to £1,000
- 24 hour emergency helpline
Extra Home Insurance
Extra provides you with more comprehensive cover against a wider range of risks than Legal and General's Essentials policy. Your contents and buildings are covered up to a certain amount based on the details you provide.
Features of Extra Cover
- 24 hour call out for home emergencies
- Cover for extended accidental damage (includes mishaps such as banging a nail through a pipe [buildings cover] or spilling red wine on your carpet [contents cover])
- Contents in your garden are covered up to £1,000
- Home emergency cover up to £150
- Trace and access of leaks covered up to £5,000
- Freezer contents protected up to £1,000
Legal and General allow you to add optional extras to your home insurance policy, offering comprehensive protection tailored to your needs. Optional add-ons include: Extended Accidental Damage cover, Personal Possessions cover and Family Legal Protection
What is an excess?
Legal and General require you to pay an excess when claiming on your policy. This is a fixed fee you must pay every time you make a claim. There are two types of excess you need to be aware of: compulsory and voluntary.
A compulsory excess is set by your policy-provider, whereas a voluntary excess is set by you. The benefit of choosing a higher voluntary excess is that you will pay lower monthly premiums and generally have fewer restrictions when making a claim. However, this will make it more expensive if you do need to make a claim.