Insurance companies base their premiums upon perceived risk and the probability of having to pay out for a claim. Therefore for those people who have what are considered to be dangerous jobs, life insurance premiums will commonly be higher then average.
Obtaining affordable life insurance for those with dangerous jobs will often require specialist help. Just how dangerous a job is considered to be will depend upon the amount of people who are injured or killed while doing them. According to surveys of the UK labour force, it may be harder to obtain low cost life insurance for dangerous jobs such as:
- Fishermen or merchant seafarers have a much higher fatality rate then most other professions due to the unpredictability of the sea
- People who are employed on oil and gas rigs
- Bomb disposal or mine clearance professionals
- Construction workers account for around 30% of all work related fatalities in the UK
- Commercial and long distance lorry drivers
- Commercial deep sea divers
Life insurance premiums can vary significantly from one insurer to the next due to underwriting policy and views on insurable risk. If you are in a higher risk profession and require life cover use our enquiry form.