What is Home Insurance?
Home Insurance is a non-compulsory type of property cover which is designed to protect against damage to your home or to the belongings within your home. Many policies and policy providers exist with offers ranging from a basic cover of the structure of the property to also covering your content, providing you with new accommodation in case of an emergency and liability coverage against accidents.
Contents insurance will protect your possessions against theft or damage. Most families underestimate the sum total of their belongings with an average household containing possessions totalling approximately £25,000 or more.
Nationwide Home Insurance Review
Nationwide offer two levels of cover but the following features and incentives are included with both policies:
- You can receive a £30 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card when you buy a new combined buildings and contents policy directly from Nationwide
- 20% introductory discount when you buy new building and contents insurance together
- Up to 35% no claim discount on your annual home contents insurance and up to 10% no claim discount on your annual buildings insurance if you've been claim-free for up to 5 years
- If you haven't reached 5 years of no claims yet, you will still be entitled to a discount for being claim free for a year or more• UK based call centres and 24 hour Home Emergency helpline
- Alternative accommodation cost covered as standard in events like storm, fire or flooding
Home Insurance Essentials
This is their standard level of cover.
- Buildings covered up to £1,000,000
- Contents covered up to £50,000
- Personal possessions cover is not included but can be added as an optional extra
- Digital information cover up to £1000, for examples books, music, games, films that you’ve downloaded online and have lost
- Accidental damage can be added as an optional extra
This is their highest level of cover
- Buildings cover is unlimited• Contents covered up to£100,000
- Personal possessions cover is included
- Matching sets and suites cover is included, this means that if an item is damaged that is part of a set and can’t be replaced they will replace the whole set. This is particularly good for furniture and bathroom suites
- Digital information loss is covered up to £3000
- Accidental damage is included as well as accidental damage by pets
Overall, this is a well-rounded insurance provider with a range of incentives that make it worthwhile for new customers. The cover for loss of digital information is unique as well as the matching set cover, making this a good option for people looking for home insurance.
Details you will need when applying for Home Insurance
Being prepared for applying for home insurance can speed up the whole process. Your answers could affect your policy options as listed buildings and buildings with special feature such as thatched rooves may not be covered by a standard policy. Below are some examples of the information you will need to hand when applying.
- The age of the property
- Whether or not it’s a listed building
- The type of property. For example, a bungalow, town house, maisonette or semi-detached house etc.
- Whether you’re renting or own the property
- Whether the property is used for business
- Who is living there, whether it’s just you and your family, or anyone else