Norwich Union Rescue
Norwich Union Rescue, is now Aviva breakdown cover following rebranding, so ‘Norwich Union Rescue’ is not currently available by that name.
Aviva breakdown cover offers policies at a range of different price bands so you can tailor your cover to your needs, depending on which plan you select your policy features may include:
- Aviva breakdown insurance is backed by the RAC.
- Get £5 off when you buy cover online (terms and conditions apply)
- Fast response roadside assistance – aim is to get to you within 60 minutes.
- Repair of vehicles on average within 40 minutes at the roadside.
- Priority attention to anyone in a vulnerable situation.
- A range of cover option - from roadside assistance to European car breakdown cover. You can also choose whether to cover your vehicle, yourself, or you and someone else, depending on what you need.
- Rated 5 stars for quality of cover by independent financial researcher Defaqto.
- Apply for both Aviva car insurance and breakdown cover at the same time.
- Recovery in the event of driver illness
- Recovery to any destination
- Onward travel
When looking for breakdown cover
Before you take out a breakdown cover policy it is worth shopping around, there are many providers so by comparing the market you can try to insure you get the best deal on cover that fits your specific needs. In addition to price things you may want to consider when deciding on a policy and level of cover could include:
- Average response time
- Number of recovery vehicles
- Customer reviews
- How many free callouts you get a year
- Benefits for members such as discounts in different businesses
- Sign up incentives
You may find that many insurers offer breakdown cover at different price bands, this allows you to tailor your policy to your requirements, what each level is called and features will vary by provider but they may share some similarities:
- Roadside assistance: usually the most basic package offered by a provider. The roadside assistance package normally offers you with a certain amount of time’s worth of free labour at the roadside, if your vehicle cannot be readily fixed at the side of the road you will be towed to a nearby garage.
- Home start: Some provider’s basic roadside package does not include cover for breakdowns that happen close your registered home address, or if your car won’t start when leaving your home. For these incidents you would need a policy that includes home assistance.
- Onward travel: Onward travel packages vary by provider, but in general are intended to provide you with a means to continue your journey if your vehicle cannot be fixed within a certain time frame, this could include the provision of a hire car, alternative transport costs or nearby accommodation for the night.