RAC breakdown service
The RAC breakdown service offers cover in 5 different levels, as well as optional extras so you can select the cover that fits your needs best. Depending on which you choose your plan may feature:
- Patrols fix 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside
- Priority rescue for anyone in a vulnerable situation
- Over 1600 highly trained and dedicated patrols
- £1000 worth of key cover whether your keys are lost, stolen or broken
- Rated number 1 UK brand for services for the fourth time
- Options for battery rescue – The RAC will source and fit a new battery up to the value of £600 if yours cannot be recharged with no additional charge
Finding breakdown cover
Even if you are confident that your vehicle is mechanically sound and will not suffer a breakdown, some policies will cover you for things that could occur to any vehicle, like losing your keys or putting the wrong fuel in the tank.
There are a variety of providers of breakdown cover so it worth comparing the market to try and find the best deal for a level of cover you are happy with, in addition to cost and what is included in your cover you may also want to consider factors such as:
- Average response time
- Recovery vehicle to membership ratio
- User ratings
- Joining incentives
- Discounts and perks for members
Many cover providers will give you a choice of cover level, so you can tailor how comprehensive your policy is to fit your needs. Levels of cover offered by a provider may include:
- Roadside Assistance – often the most basic level of cover offered. Normally provides a certain amount of free labour at the roadside and if the vehicle cannot be repaired there then it will also include a tow to a nearby garage. Roadside assistance often doesn’t provide cover for breakdowns that occur at or close to your registered home address.
- Home Assistance – Provides cover for breakdowns that happen at or near your registered home address.
- Onward Travel – Onward travel packages are designed to assist you in continuing your journey if your vehicle cannot be fixed within a certain time period, this assistance could include the provision of a hire car, alternative transport costs or a room in a nearby hotel for the night. What’s offered in onward travel packages can vary considerably between providers.
- European cover – Provides breakdown cover in continental Europe.