Is Royal Bank of Scotland home insurance right for you?
There are two kinds of home insurance: buildings and contents. Buildings insurance will cover the structure of your home, usually including the walls, roof, floors, doors and windows, so you could be eligible to make a claim if damage occurs to any of these.
Buildings insurance also includes permanent fixtures, such as bathroom suites, kitchen units and in-built wardrobes, as well as outbuildings like garages, sheds and greenhouses.
Contents insurance will cover the things that aren’t part of the structure of your home, usually including: Furniture, electronics, jewellery, freezer contents, carpets and curtains, and clothing. However, it does not cover wear and tear, intentional or accidental damage or damage caused by your pets.
Choosing an RBS home insurance policy
RBS offer three levels of home insurance: Essentials, Standard and Elite. This offer great cover at a range of price points to suit different needs and budgets.
RBS offer the following all of their policies:
- A ‘no change to your premium’ incentive which fixes your premiums for 3 years
- A 24/7 helpline, 365 days a year
- Interest free monthly payments
Essentials Contents Insurance
Great option for people who really need the bare minimum of coverage at an affordable price. Ideal for renters.
- This branch of insurance is suited to tenants and students.
- Up to £14,000 of cover for your possessions
- Loaned college material is covered up to £500 if lost or stolen, books are covered up to £200
- You can top up your policy to include laptops, phones, bikes etc.
- New for old replacement
Standard Home Insurance
A well-balanced policy aimed at homeowners which includes both buildings and contents insurance.
- Buildings cover up to £1,000,000
- Contents are covered up to £50,000
- New for old replacement
- Alternative accommodation cover up to £25,000 with buildings cover and up to £15,000 with contents cover
- Accidental damage is included
- Optional possessions cover and legal cover
Elite Home Insurance
A more comprehensive policy offering the very best cover for those looking for a little extra protection.
- Unlimited cover for buildings
- Contents are covered up to £100,000
- New for old replacement and matching items replacement cover
- Alternative accommodation up to £50,000 with buildings cover and up to £30,000 with contents cover
- Accidental damage cover included
- Family legal protection included up to £100,00
- Personal possessions cover for items taken out of the home included
Applying for Royal Bank of Scotland home insurance
To speed up the process when applying for a home insurance policy with RBS, it is a good idea to have the following information to hand:
- The age of the property
- Whether or not it’s a listed building – this could affect the kind of policy you need to take out
- The type of property. For example, a bungalow, town house, maisonette or semi-detached house etc.
- Whether you’re renting or own the property
- Whether the property is used for business?
- Who is living there, whether it’s just you and your family, or anyone else?