Short Term Car Insurance
There are numerous reasons for why you may need short term car insurance rather than the standard 12 month policy. For instance:
- If you are selling your car and will not need it for long
- If you own a particular car that you only used occasionally (e.g. a classic car that is only used over the summer)
- If you are going abroad
- If you want to add an extra vehicle. Perhaps, something larger to transport furniture, luggage or even your relatives!
- If you want to insure someone else on your car (e.g. if you are making a long trip with a friend, you may wish to share the driving between you.)
If you only need cover for a few days while you borrow someone's car, or to share the driving on a long trip – then you could take out short term car insurance which is designed for just such occasions. Short term car insurance means you do not have to be permanently added to an insurance policy, saving time and money.
You may also want to think about the features of short term car insurance that you would like:
- Make sure that your short term policy covers you for damages and theft.
- You may want to check that the policy has adequate break down cover.
- A flexible cover that is tailored to your personal short term car insurance needs.
Most insurance providers will give you the option of 1-28 days cover or 1-8 months cover, so be sure that you choose the most appropriate cover for you.
There are many short term car insurance quotes around, all with varying prices and cover. Be honest when you answer insurance questions, as failure to disclose important information could result in the termination of your policy. Most companies will operate certain exclusions on their short term car insurance policies, such as not paying out if:
- The damage or loss from theft happens while the keys are in the ignition
- Damages caused to tyres by dangerous driving
- Confiscation of the vehicle by government or local authorities