Tesco car breakdown cover
While Tesco car breakdown cover is only available when purchased as an optional extra with their car insurance. There are many other providers of car breakdown insurance you may want to consider, by shopping around before taking out a policy you can try to insure you secure the best deal for the level of cover you desire.
Benefits to look for when choosing car breakdown insurance include:
- No callout or excess charges
- Unlimited callouts
- Fast average response time
- Good response vehicle to customer ratio
- UK wide coverage
- Recovery options for caravans and trailers
- Available 24/7, 365 days a year
- Discounts for members in different shops, restaurants and bars
- Cover for motorbikes or classic vehicles
- Inclusion of cover for mishaps like lost keys or misfueling
Many policies will give you a choice between a personal policy and a vehicle policy:
- Vehicle cover – works on a nominated vehicle, so whoever is driving it when it breaks down your policy covers it, providing the driver is legally allowed to do so. Some policies will let you add additional vehicles for a discounted rate.
- Personal Cover – works on an individual basis, so the policy holder has breakdown cover for any private vehicle they are driving or a passenger in, such as; their own, a family member’s or friend’s. Some providers will let you take out household cover for up to five individuals who live at the same address.
Levels of cover:
When looking at different car breakdown insurance policies you will find that many providers let you purchase cover at different price bands, so you can tailor how comprehensive your policy is based on your own needs. The names and features of these cover levels will vary by provider but may include:
- Roadside assistance: The most basic package usually offered by an insurer. It will provide you with a certain amount of time’s worth of free roadside labour; if the vehicle cannot be fixed at the roadside then you will be towed to a nearby garage.
- Home Assistance: roadside assistance packages often don’t provide cover if your car won’t start when leaving your home or breakdown near your registered home address, as such they often offer a home assistance option for people who want cover for these possibilities.
- Onward Travel: If your car cannot be fixed at the roadside or within a certain time constraint at a nearby garage then an onward travel package may be able to help you carry on your journey, what is offered varies considerably by provider but may include being provided with a hire car for a limited time, costs for alternative transport or being put up in a nearby hotel for the night while you wait for your vehicle to be fixed.
- European Cover: European cover affords you cover for driving in continental Europe for a set number of days of the year.