Compare Buildings and Contents Insurance

Buildings and contents insurance are two distinct parts of a combined house insurance policy. Whether it works out as a better deal to purchase each policy separately, or to combine them, will depend on the house insurance quote given by different companies. This is one of the reasons why it can be a good idea to shop around for a variety of home insurance and contents insurance quotes before making a decision.

Buildings and contents insurance will provide you with complete cover with regards to the actual building you live in and the possessions that you keep inside. The table below will give you an idea of the deals durrently on offer:

Compare Building and Contents Insurance Quotes
Provided via:Total Number of InsurersContents InsuranceBuilding InsuranceLandlord & Tenant InsuranceGet Quotes
70+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
Latest Contents Insurance Provider Deals
ProviderBuildings Max Std CoverContents Max Std CoverFeatures:Get Quotes
Rebuild Cost£50,000

5 Star home insurance from just £99
10% of all customers buying home buildings and contents insurance with us from June 2017 to August 2017 paid £99 or less (Source: Aviva). The price you pay will depend upon individual circumstances, cover chosen and payment method selected.

Get Quotes >
£1 million£100,000

Over 50s Home Cover - Buildings and contents insurance from £141 a year – 51% of customers who paid annually and took out a new policy between May and July 2015 paid this or even less

Get Quotes >

Five star rated Platinum Home Insurance.
(Moneyfacts Home Insurance 2018). Choose from three levels of cover, covering some or all of: home emergency, boiler cover, family legal protection, accidental damage on both buildings and contents, personal possessions, bicycles, matching items, trace and access. Plus add optional extras. 24-hour Emergency Helpline

Get Quotes >

UK's number 1 rated home insurance provider. We compare policies from leading providers as well as our own to find you the right cover. Prices fixed for 2 years

Get Quotes >

Great value 'Defaqto' 5 Star rated cover. £1 million cover if you need to rebuild your home, choose up to £150,000 for your contents cover, 24-hour UK emergency helpline

Get Quotes >

5 Star Defaqto award-winning insurer.
Pay monthly at no extra cost (0% APR Representative). Low excess of just £45 (apart from escaping water and subsidence). No hidden admin fees. 'New for old' cover. Age UK Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited and provided by a limited panel of insurers.

Get Quotes >

Get a quote today and you could save 15% when you buy online. (Discount includes introductory and web discount, first year premium only. Minimum Premiums apply)

Get Quotes >

Get quotes from over 65 trusted home insurance brands in minutes. 20% of consumers could achieve a saving of £158 with (based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 1 October to 31 October 2016)

Get Quotes >

*There is no total sum insured, but other limits apply including single article and total valuables limits.

** Up to 50% offer includes introductory 25% discount applied to annual home insurance premium and not to additional extras. £30 gift card applies when purchasing new combined cover.

***99% of people who had a buildings and contents quote during May 2012 received a discount of at least 15%.

♦ Not available to customers renewing their existing cover

 ****Discount applies when you buy buildings and contents together. 30% combined and 20% online discount deducted consecutively. Excludes optional covers. Minimum premiums apply. New customers only.

Buildings cover   

Buildings insurance polices insure that a person and their family is protected from having to pay the full cost of having to pay for repairing damage that occurs to the physical structure and permanent fixtures of their home.

Individual buildings and contents insurance policies will of course differ, but most buildings insurance will cover:

  • Damage caused by fire
  • Storm, lighting or flood related damage
  • Vandalism or forced entry
  • Subsidence
  • Burst pipes


Contents cover

Contents insurance provides cover for the loss or damage of the possessions contained within a home. The basic definition of contents, as opposed to buildings, insurance is that a person’s contents are all the things that they would take with them when they moved.


Buildings and Contents Insurance

Getting a combined buildings and contents insurance policy can be a great way of saving money while still insuring an adequate level of protection. Option extras such as legal cover and accidental damage insurance may also be available. The best way to ensure you get the deal you want is to look at a wide range of house insurance quotes.