Flood Risk Insurance For Homes
The recent debates about the nature and potency of climate change have highlighted the risk of increased future flood damage in areas of the UK. If these predictions are true it will place much more pressure on insurance companies to provide flood risk insurance to more homes. The Environmental Agency has a map of areas that are at risk of experiencing flood damage on its website, so it is advisable to familiarise yourself with the risk of flooding of your local area. You are likely to face higher premiums for your buildings insurance if you live in what is termed a flood plain area.
The best way to find the right policy for you is to look at a number of different flood and home insurance quotes, something which our product comparison table is designed to help you accomplish quickly and easily.While many companies will be willing to offer you great deals on your home insurance despite some flood risk, it is important that you take a number of precautions to limit the potential damage caused to your property by flooding:
- You could install flood barriers although this could be quite expensive
- Keep important documents and valuable items in the upper levels of the house
- Fitting one way valves to stop sewage and waste being forced back up your pipes
- Replace materials such as chip wood and plaster with more water resistant materials
- Raise your gas meter and boiler above flood levels
If an insurance company sees you have made these improvements to your house they are likely to take this into account when calculating your flood risk home insurance premiums. It is advisable to inquire into what kind of effect taking these kinds of practical measure will have when gathering together flood insurance quotes.