Home Insurance For Rental Property

If you are a landlord, you may want to check that your home insurance for the rented property is valid as you may not be fully covered under a standard home insurance policy. Rented property insurance may be the cover you need. See below to compare landlords home insurance for rental property deals to find the best one for you.

Home insurance for a rented property differs among insurance providers in that they can sometimes offer different levels of protection for third party liability and damage caused by the tenants of your property. If you decide to take out cover, make sure you are covered suitably. This is often overlooked, but very important if a tenant were to be seriously injured whilst in your property.

You could take out both a buildings and contents insurance policy as a way of safeguarding the structure of your home and the contents within it that are yours from damage and theft. Whilst it is the responsibility of the tenant to insure their personal belongings, this may not include any contents which you own in the house.

Many landlords also take out emergency assistance cover, which can be extremely useful in covering maintenance issues that need resolving quickly. This could include:

  • Heating and plumbing damages
  • Lost keys
  • Broken or damaged windows and doors
  • Drain blockages
  • Electricity supply damages
  • Roofing issues

The tenant’s possessions are not covered in the landlord’s insurance and so they may want to consider taking out their own home insurance for the rental property.