Landlord Insurance for Vacant Property

If you are looking for landlord insurance for your vacant property, obtaining the correct insurance is essential. Many insurance companies provide cover that is flexible to suit your needs. You can use the comparison table below to see a selection of places where you will be able to get quotes on landlord insurance.

Landlord Insurance Deals
ProviderRental ProtectionMulti Property QuotesPublic and Property Liability CoverSpecial FeaturesGet Quotes
YesyesGet QuotesPRICE GUARANTEE - beat any renewal quote on like for like cover.* Find cheap landlord insurance - Fast online quotes - multi property insurance - loss of rent cover - all tenant types coveredGet Quotes >
YesyesGet QuotesSave up to 35% on your Landlord insurance** - Cover for Professionals, Student Lets, DSS and many more - One property or portfolio our partners can helpGet Quotes >
YesyesStandard Cover Up to £2m Direct Line Landlord Insurance with prices from £115 a year 10% of customers paid this or less. Based on policies sold 1st November 17 - 30 April 18. Excludes add ons. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.Get Quotes >
YesyesGet QuotesCompare the best prices and policies for landlords. Quick quotes with all risks and multi properties covered by our UK insurance providers.Get Quotes >
YesyesGet QuotesFill in one form to compare landlord insurance deals from a range of providers and find the right one for you.Get Quotes >
YesyesCover Up to £2mWe cater for all types of Landlords Building Insurance. Multi-Quote's available, buy online now.Get Quotes >
YesyesGet QuotesGet quotes instantly and find the cover you need at a price that suits you. Immediate cover available. Arranged by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited who source products from a panel of insurers, ensuring you get the right cover at a competitive price.Get Quotes >

*New customers only. Minimum premiums apply. Proof of alternative quote may be required. Based on the same level of cover.

**Save up to 35% on your Landlord Insurance - Get a Quote Today »

While you may already have landlord buildings and contents insurance, as a vacated property poses a higher risk many insurers put a limit on the number of consecutive days your let property can be empty without your insurance becoming invalid or limited.


Because vacant property insurance is a fairly specialised area of insurance, it is important for you to receive specialist insurance advice. There are many insurers that can help you to tailor a policy that adheres to your individual requirements. Whether your property is pending occupancy or sale, landlord insurance for your vacant property is easy to find.


Because of the higher level of risk attached to vacant properties, landlord insurance will probably be higher than usual.  Your unoccupied home is considered to be at greater risk from:


  • Fire damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism, malicious damage or squatters
  • Water damage
  • Amassing damage as a result of something being untreated whilst unoccupied


Due to these risks, landlord insurance for vacant properties might cost more than standard cover. However, there are still many companies that can help, and often they design their policies around you and your needs.


If you are looking for landlord insurance for your vacant property, then you may want to consider the type of cover you want. If you are only looking to insure your property for a short period of time, then a temporary insurance policy may be a good idea. For example, if your resident(s) have had to move out so that you can make repairs, you may only need vacancy insurance for a little while. If the property is empty of furniture as well as tenants, you might only need buildings insurance.


Depending on the specific situation of your let you may want to consider landlord insurance for vacant property policy that covers both buildings and contents:


Buildings cover

Buildings insurance covers the building’s structure, a property’s structure and roof is at greater risk when it is vacant, this is because some incidents are more likely to occur in a property that has been left unoccupied such as pipes freezing as a result of the property being much colder than it would be if occupied.


Contents insurance

If items like furniture, tvs and appliances are going to be left in the property while it is vacant you may need to take out a specialist insurance policy to cover these items as they will be subject to a much greater level of risk from thieves and vandals as such a standard contents policy may not provide cover when the property is empty.


Comparing a number of different quotes can help you to find the best deals. Use our free service to compare deals and apply online.