What can cat insurance cover?
Features of cat insurance could include:
- Vet fee cover - Avoid huge bills if your cat is sick or injured
- Boarding fee cover - for overnight stays if your cat needs 24 hour care, or if you are hospitalised and need your cat to be taken care of during your stay
- Advertising and reward costs - In case your cat goes missing
- Option to pay by Direct Debit – spread the cost of your cat insurance over the year
- Multi-pet discount – get a discount when you insure more than once cat
- Additional cover options – top up your cat insurance with extra cover options ranging from cremation costs to holiday cover
Types of cat insurance
Some of the options available for your cat insurance include:
Lifetime cat insurance – A lifetime insurance policy offers the most comprehensive level of cover for your cat. These plans, as the name suggests, are designed to last for the entire life of your pet, covering any new illness or injury after the date the policy is taken out (you will not be covered for your cat’s existing illnesses or injuries). These policies require annual renewal, so make sure you set a date to renew each year or you will no longer have the cover you need.
Non-lifetime cat insurance – this type of cat insurance limits how much they pay per condition before it's excluded. This type of cat insurance will pay out a set amount for any different conditions your cat has, with no time limit. However, once the payment limit is used up, no further payouts will be available.
Time-limited non-lifetime cat insurance - this type of cat insurance offers the same limited payout plan as non-lifetime cat insurance,but also places a time limit on how long you can claim for the condition. After this time has elapsed, the condition will be excluded from any further payouts.
Accident-only cat insurance – This is the most basic type of cat insurance policy and only covers your cat for accidents and injuries. Other illnesses are excluded. The policies may be cheapest at the outset, but they could prove expensive if your cat gets ill in the future as you will not be covered.
You can compare the best cat insurance deals with our free comparison table - just click on the links above and below to compare features and apply online for discounts and best buys.