Available from 1 – 90 days. So whether you need that last bit of practice before your test or you’re getting behind the wheel for the first time, you can select a policy duration that fits your needs
Young Driver Car Insurance
- Get the practice you need whenever you want
- Protects the vehicle owners No Claims Discount
- All temporary learner driver policies from Tempcover come with comprehensive cover as standard
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months. To get a quote you’ll need:
- Any driver is allowed to supervise as long as they are over 21 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least three years (as long as they do not have a DR coded conviction within the last 5 years).
- Learner Driver can get as much extra practice as they like
- If it’s someone else’s car you are using, this independent policy removes the risk of any negative effect to their own policy – like losing their No Claims Bonus discount
- A more cost effective way to practice in addition to your driving lessons
- Flexibility to arrange instant cover when you need some extra driving practice from just 1 day
- Comprehensive cover on the vehicle whilst the learner is driving
- Accompanying driver must be a Full Licence holder, must be between 25-72 years of age, and must have held a Full UK, EEA or E Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years
- Fill in one simple form and QuoteSearcher does the hard work for you – then you can choose from a range of quotes to find the right deal for you
- Multiple quotes from specialist brokers
- One short form to complete
- We do the searching for you
- Multiple quotes from specialist brokers
- Compare UK insurance providers
- Find a policy to suit your needs
- Comprehensive, 3rd party or 3rd party fire and theft
Car Insurance for young drivers – keeping costs down
Car insurance quotes for young drivers can seem disproportionately high compared to those of older drivers, and they are often the highest insurance quotes around. It can seem that young drivers are regarded as so ‘high risk’ that many companies refuse to make them any insurance offers.
However, while there are car insurance providers that do cater for young drivers, premiums are still likely to be high. Young drivers are more statistically likely to crash and get into accidents, therefore increasing the insurance premiums for their overall age group by a substantial amount.
As well as getting quotes from individual specialist insurers you may also want to use a price comparison website to ensure you are getting a competitive deal. Price comparison sites will often have young driver car insurance specialist insurers on their panel.
There are a few things you can do to make sure that you are getting the best value car insurance for young drivers:
- Make sure your car choice is sensible in terms of speed and size, as this could save you money on your insurance.
- When choosing insurance, remember that the cheapest cover is not always enough – look around for more than one quote and look at a selection of different companies.
- Avoid making modifications to your car – these will make insurance premiums extremely high
- Many companies allow you to pay off your insurance premiums in monthly instalments, which can be helpful for your budget. However, be aware that some companies charge extra for this option
Why Do I Need Car Insurance?
Compare Car Insurance
Car Insurance in the UK is compulsory under the 1988 Road Traffic Act and it is an offence to take a car onto a public highway without at least third party insurance in place.
Most basic car insurance policies cover third party, fire and theft covering third party liabilities as well as damage to the car caused by fire or loss due to theft. Comprehensive car insurance which is more expensive covers third party, fire and theft but also covers any damage caused by the driver to the car being driven.
According to the Motor Insurers Bureau uninsured drivers (approximately two million motorists according to the department of transport) inflict approximately £380 million of damage on UK roads which is passed on in higher insurance premiums.
Under the law a car must have a valid car insurance policy if it is taxed or not or whether it is kept on a public highway or not and whether it is driven or not.
If a car is not being used its tax disc must be redeemed and the relevent declaration (SORN) completed to confirm that the car is being kept off public roads. The scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. the maximum penalty for offenders is £5,000 and an automatic endorsement of your driver license with 6 to 8 penalty points.
What Are The Different Types Of Car Insurance
Type of Car Insurance
Car Insurance Features
Comprehensive Car Insurance
|As the name suggests provides cover both to third parties but also to you and your own car and passengers in the event of an accident. This type of cover usually allows you to drive another car (may only be on a third party basis).|
Car Legal Expenses Insurance
Normally sold as an add on to car insurance and provides legal expense cover in the event of a dispute e.g. if you are in an accident that is not your fault you may wish to claim back uninsured losses and legal expense cover will help you fund the legal costs.
Third Party Car Insurance
|Third party car insurance is the minimum cover required by UK law on a vehicle used ona public highway. If you have an accident this cover will protect you from having to pay for damage to other vehicles. You cannot make a claim against your own vehicle.|
Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance
|In addition to covering third party liabilites this cover also provides financial protection in the event of damage to your car in the event of fire or loss due to theft.|
How Do I Get The Best Car Insurance Rates?
Things to consider:
If you are under 25 you will generally pay more for car insurance. For teenagers the cost of car insurance can be very high. Some insurers provide young driver car insurance schemes e.g. The Co-op and Young Marmalade provide specialist insurance for younger drivers
To keep the cost of car insurance down many insurers provide you with the option of a voluntary excess on any claim. This is paid over and above any compulsory excess on the policy.
In the past specialist women’s car insurance providers could offer a better deal. Women generally tend to make less expensive claims than men, and so insurance companies historically reflected this in offering cheaper premiums. However, in March 2012, the European Court of Justice ruled that insurance providers cannot discriminate on gender. This ruling came into effect from December 2012.
Some car insurers will adjust their car insurance premium based on the mileage you do. It is important you give an accurate indication of expected annual mileage to ensure you are not paying more than you need to. Check with your existing car insurer (if relevant) – If you already have an existing car check with your existing insurer about adding a second car onto the policy. Some car insurance companies will provide you with a discount for including a second vehicle – often called multi car insurance.
Using a Comparison website
Online comparison websites provide a useful and easy way of getting car insurance quotes. No car insurance comparison website covers the whole market so it makes sense to use more than one source to ensure you are getting the right cover at the right price. You should also note that some insurance companies do not appear on comparison websites e.g. Direct Line Car Insurance and Aviva Car Insurance
Using a Car Insurance broker
If you are not sure what cover you need or want somebody to help you through the process there are many car insurance brokers who will be happy to help. A good insurance broker will not help you in buying car insurance but also provide support in the event that you need to make a claim.If you intend to use a broker you should check their FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) registration on the FCA website.
Providing correct information
In assessing the insurance risk an insurance company will rely on the information that you give as being accurate. Information provided will determine whether insurance is provided and the cost of premiums. It is therefore important that any information you provide is correct e.g. information on any driving offences where you have been given points can have a material impact on the premium you are required to pay. Non disclosure of such information at the time of application can result in a non payout in the event of a claim. If you are using a car insurance broker this is where valuable advice can be provided.
Cheapest is not always best
With insurance you generally get what you pay for so before you sign up to an insurance policy you should be aware of what you are covered for and what is excluded. You should consider what you need and ensure you are adequately covered. This may mean you have to pay more to get what you want.
When you buy car insurance and you pay by direct debit some insurance companies will automatically renew your car insurance policy at the renewal date. You should receive a written notice of the car insurance renewal and any increase in the premium. If you are not happy you need to be proactive and shop around before the renewal date and cancel the existing policy before renewal.
Changing your mind
You have the right to change your mind within a set period normally 14 days from purchase of the car insurance policy and have your money returned.
Car Insurance Providers
- AA Car Insurance
- Abbey Car Insurance
- Admiral Car Insurance
- Admiral Multi Car insurance
- Adrian Flux Car Insurance
- AIG Car Insurance
- Alliance and Leicester Car Insurance
- Allianz Car Insurance
- ASDA Car Insurance
- AVIVA Car Insurance
- Aviva Pay As You Drive Insurance
- Aviva Short Term Car Insurance
- AXA Car Insurance
- Barclays Car Insurance
- Bell Car Insurance
- Bell Direct Car Insurance
- BMW Car Insurance
- Budget Car Insurance
- Castle Cover Car Insurance
- Churchill Car Insurance
- CIS Car Insurance
- Click4Gap Car Insurance
- Co-op Car Insurance
- Columbus Motor Insurance
- Confused.com Car Insurance
- Confused.com Car Insurance Quotes
- Cornhill Car Insurance
- Cornhill Direct Car Insurance
- Debenhams Car Insurance
- Dial Direct Car Insurance
- Diamond Car Insurance
- Direct Line Car Insurance
- Direct Line Multi Car Insurance
- Eagle Star Car Insurance
- eCar Insurance
- Egg Car Insurance
- Elephant Car Insurance
- Endsleigh Car Insurance
- Equity Red Star Car Insurance
- esure Car Insurance
- Express Car Insurance
- First Alternative Car Insurance
- First Direct Car Insurance
- Ford Car Insurance
- Fortis Car Insurance
- GoCompare Car Insurance
- Green Insurance Company Car Insurance
- Greenbee Car Insurance
- Halifax Car Insurance
- Hastings Car Insurance
- Hastings Direct Car Insurance
- HSBC Car Insurance
- ibuyeco Car Insurance
- Insurance Choice Car Insurance
- Insurepink Car Insurance
- insurance.co.uk Car Insurance
- Insurancewide Car Insurance
- its4me Car Insurance
- John Lewis Car Insurance
- Kwik-Fit Car Insurance
- LV= (Liverpool Victoria) Car Insurance
- Lloyds Car Insurance
- M&S Car Insurance
- Moneysupermarket Car Insurance
- More Than Car Insurance
- Natwest Car Insurance
- Nissan Car Insurance
- Norwich Union Car Insurance
- Norwich Union Direct car insurance
- Norwich Union Pay As You Drive car insurance
- Post Office Car Insurance
- Privilege Car Insurance
- Provident Car Insurance
- Provisional Marmalade Car Insurance
- Prudential Car Insurance
- Quinn Car Insurance
- Quinn Direct Car Insurance
- Quote Me Happy
- RAC Car Insurance
- Renault Car Insurance Quotes
- Rover Car Insurance Quotes
- Saga Car Insurance
- Sainsbury’s Bank Car Insurance
- Santander Car Insurance
- Screentrade Car Insurance
- Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance
- Skipton Car Insurance
- Swiftcover Car Insurance
- Swinton Car Insurance
- Tesco Car Insurance
- Tesco Compare Car Insurance
- The Co-operative Car Insurance
- Toyota Car Insurance
- Vauxhall Car Insurance
- Virgin Money Car Insurance
- Volvo Car Insurance
- Yes Car Insurance
- Young Marmalade
- Zenith Car Insurance
- Zurich Connect Car Insurance