Cheap Share Dealing
Looking for affordable ways to invest in shares?
Our review looks at budget-friendly share trading services enabling you to trade shares and diversify your investment portfolio without having to worry about exorbitant fees that can erode your gains.
Whether you’re a seasoned investor or just embarking on your investment journey, low-cost share dealing services can equip you with the necessary tools and resources to grow your wealth.
|Join today & get £50 FREE trading credit (T&Cs apply).
More than 40,000 UK & international investment options
Invest from £1
|Go to website »|
|Trusted by over 400,000 people. Fully FSCS protected. ADVFN Winner 2022 “Best Low Cost Stockbroker”. Capital at risk.|
|Choose from over 2,000 funds
From £25 per month
|Go to website »|
|Mobile app – manage your portfolio on the move. FSCS protected. Capital at risk.|
|Trade UK & US shares from £6. International shares from £9.
Flat fee plan starts from £4 pm
8,000+ investments to choose from.
|Go to website »|
|Smart Investor gives you the investment choice and research tools you need to grow your money. Over 300,000 people have used our award winning accounts, expert insights and resources to help work towards their financial goals. Capital at risk.|
|Access over 3,000 funds. UK & Overseas shares.
Invest from £100 or £25 pm
|Go to website »|
|Hargreaves Lansdown is the UK’s No 1 platform for private investors trusted by over 1.6 million customers. Capital at risk.|
|Access to 70,000+ instruments, smart trading tools & market insights
Investment platform for different needs and experience levels
|Go to website »|
|Saxo serve clients in 170 countries, hold 70+ bn GBP in assets under management & process 1m transactions daily. FCA regulated. Capital at risk.|
|Buy & trade over 3500+ UK, EU and US stocks with low 0.35% currency conversion.
Say goodbye to high minimums and barriers to entry. Capital at Risk
|Go to website »|
|Multi-currency investing, your money goes even further without the constant foreign exchange fees. Deposit, hold and invest in international stock markets in EUR, GBP and USD — all under one roof. Shares have a low, transparent execution cost. Investing in your local ETFs is completely free of Lightyear fee (other fees may apply). Earn interest on uninvested cash. Access live news feeds about the stocks you own, as well as professional analyst ratings & price targets. Lightyear is now live on web and has launched earnings calls audios. Capital at Risk. We, Fair Investment Company, will be paid a referral fee if you open an account and deposit funds through some of the links on this page. This includes financial promotion.|
|Invest in real stocks with 0% commission*. Over 5300 instruments…
|Go to website »|
|World class trading platform: Easy to use, fully customisable, superior execution speeds, performance statistics. Applying for an account is quick and easy with a secure online form, and you could be trading within minutes. Wide range of instruments -forex, indices, commodities, shares and ETF’s. Multilingual customer support team is ready to help you – 24h hours a day from Monday to Friday. *For monthly turnover up to 100,000 EUR (then comm. 0.2%, min. 10 EUR). Capital at risk|
|Buy & trade over 17,000+ shares online. Zero commission on US shares. FX conversion fee of just 0.5%.
Invest from £1
|Go to website »|
|IG offer exclusive out of hours giving access to 70+ shares when the market is closed. 313,000+ clients worldwide. FCA Regulated. Capital at risk. 68% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and CFDs with this provider|
|Choice of 500 low cost ETF Funds
Invest from £1
|Go to website »|
|The InvestEngine offers investors a low cost ETF investment platform. Build your own portfolio commission free or leave it to their experts for just 0.25%. Build your own low cost portfolio using managers such as Vanguard, iShares & Invesco. FSCS protected. Capital at risk.|
Are you seeking the best options for cheap share dealing in the UK?
Look no further! Our comprehensive guide will explore the top platforms offering cost-effective share trading solutions for investors, from beginners to experienced traders.
We’ve compared fees, investment options, user experience, and more to help you decide when choosing a share dealing platform.
So, if you’re eager to kickstart your investment journey and maximise your returns with affordable share dealing, keep reading to discover the perfect platform for you.
What is the cheapest way to invest in shares?
The most cost-effective way to invest in shares depends on your investment goals, the amount you’re willing to invest, and the level of service you need. The fees charged by share dealing platforms and investment apps are typically lower than those of traditional offline brokers.
To find the cheapest deal, you will need to compare all costs, including trading fees, account management fees, and other associated charges. This is not straightforward, as different platforms have different structures in place.
Still, our cost comparison table below provides a top-level guide on what you can expect to pay for each Provider highlighted.
What are the cheapest UK trading platforms?
Interactive Brokers is a US-based brokerage firm that offers share dealing services for UK traders providing access to a wide range of global exchanges, including the UK, Europe, North America, and Asia.
Their pricing structure for share dealing is tiered, with the cost per trade decreasing as you trade more frequently.
For UK shares, the pricing starts at £6 per trade for up to 300 trades pm. If you make more than 300 trades per month, the cost per trade decreases to just £0.05. This makes Interactive Brokers a more competitively priced platform for traders who trade frequently.
In addition to its competitive pricing structure, Interactive Brokers offers a range of advanced share trading tools and features, including a customisable trading platform, real-time market data, and access to the latest market research. You read more in our Interactive Brokers review here.
Traders can also use margin trading to amplify their trading power, although this does come with additional risks.
AJ Bell is a UK brokerage offering two pricing plans for share dealing – standard and frequent trader options. Their standard plan caters to investors who trade less frequently, while their frequent trader plan caters for investors who trade more frequently.
With AJ Bell’s standard plan, UK shares are charged a flat fee of £9.95 per trade, with no additional custody or account fees. Fees for international shares are £9.95 plus a 1% foreign exchange fee. In this way, AJ Bell is one of the most competitively priced platforms in the UK for dealing in shares.
As part of the frequent trader plan, a tiered fee structure is based on your monthly trades. As you make more trades, the fee per trade decreases.
For example, if you make between 10 and 19 trades pm, the fee per trade is reduced to £6.95. If you make over 100 trades monthly, the fee per trade reduces to just £1.50.
For a more comprehensive review of AJ Bell see our latest summary of the pros and cons of what they offer investors.
With Degiro, UK investors can cheaply access many global markets. Fees for UK shares start at £1.75 + 0.014% per trade, making it a very cost-effective option.
The platform is quite basic, and some users may find the lack of research tools and educational resources restricting. Read our more in-depth Degiro review for more detailed insight into this platform.
A popular share and spread betting platform in the UK, IG has provided CFDs, spread betting, and share trading services for almost 50 years (since 1973).
They charge a reasonable fee of £3 per trade for UK shares if you’ve conducted over three trades in the prior month, while a fee of £8 per trade is applied if you’ve traded less.
US shares, on the other hand, can be traded commission free. IG Group offers simple and intuitive trading tools, extensive research resources, and educational materials, making it a good choice for novices.
A Closer Look at the Top Platforms
As a starting point for making an informed decision, we look more closely at some of the top platforms for UK traders, including Interactive Brokers, Degiro, IG, and Interactive Investor.
Interactive Brokers – An All-inclusive Platform for Expert Traders
Interactive Brokers provides comprehensive tools and functionalities, making it an all-encompassing platform for professional and seasoned traders.
Notable features of this platform include:
- Trader Workstation – This cutting-edge trading platform allows users to trade various asset classes, tailor trading algorithms, and utilise advanced stock trading instruments
- Risk Navigator – This feature enables users to track, stress test, and evaluate their stock portfolio risk in real-time
- API Integration – The platform offers API integration capabilities, enabling traders to create custom trading applications or integrate with external platforms
Though Interactive Brokers may not be the most beginner-friendly platform, it offers comprehensive trading solutions and competitive fees for intermediate and expert traders.
AJ Bell – Good Value User-Friendly Platform
With over 3,800 reviews, a score of 4.7 out of 5 from Trustpilot suggests the Company is doing a lot right for investors. AJ Bell is one of the UK’s best-known brokers since 1995.
Key features include:
- Share pricing model AJ Bell distinguishes itself from other brokers in the UK market by adopting a unique pricing structure that charges a flat rate of £9.95 per online trade. This pricing strategy presents a substantial advantage over other UK brokers’ average fees, making AJ Bell a competitive option for traders. In addition to this, the platform does not levy annual account fees or inactivity fees, thereby providing an additional cost benefit for traders who only trade infrequently.
- Share order types – AJ Bell facilitates traders’ effective trade management by offering a diverse range of order types, including market orders, limit orders, stop-loss orders, and trailing stop orders. Traders can also establish alerts to receive notifications when a particular stock reaches a certain price or moves by a certain percentage.
- Trader tools – AJ Bell’s share dealing service also provides traders with an array of research and analysis tools. Traders can access live prices, news, charts, and research from multiple sources, including Morningstar and Reuters.
- Stock Screener – Furthermore, the platform’s stock screener enables traders to filter stocks based on market capitalization, P/E ratio, and dividend yield criteria.
Degiro – A Low-Cost European Broker
Degiro sets itself apart with its low fees and access to global markets. However, its basic platform is ideal for investors seeking a no-frills, cost-effective trading solution.
Some key features include:
- Wide range of markets –Degiro provides access to over 50 stock exchanges across 30 countries, giving investors ample opportunities to diversify their portfolios
- Basic trading platform – While it may not have all the bells and whistles of more advanced platforms, Degiro’s trading platform is straightforward to navigate
- Limited research tools – Degiro offers basic research tools, such as market news and company financials, but it lacks the advanced research features found on other platforms
Degiro is an excellent choice for cost-conscious investors who don’t require extensive research tools or advanced trading features.
IG – A User-Friendly Platform for Beginners
IG is popular among beginners due to its user-friendly platform, educational resources, and competitive fees.
Some highlights of the platform include:
- IG Academy: This comprehensive educational resource offers a range of courses, webinars, and articles to help beginners learn the ins and outs of trading and investing.
- Research tools: IG offers various research tools, such as market news, analyst ratings, and economic calendars, helping investors make informed decisions.
- Demo account: Beginners can practice trading with a free demo account, which provides £10,000 in virtual funds to experiment with.
IG is an excellent option for beginners who want a user-friendly platform and access to a wealth of educational resources.
Interactive Investor – Fixed price share dealing platform
UK based Interactive Investor (ii) is an investment platform that offers user-friendly platform functionality, trading tools, and market research on shares.
Here is an in-depth summary of some of these features:
- Platform Usability – Interactive Investor’s platform is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. With a clean, modern design, the platform is easily navigable on desktop and mobile devices. This platform has easy access to account information, trading tools, and research, and it also keeps you up to date on market movements in real-time.
- Investment Instruments – ii offers investors a variety of investment tools designed to aid you in making well-informed financial choices. Among these tools is an efficient investment filtering system, which enables investors to sift through stocks using multiple criteria such as market capitalisation, dividend yield, and additional factors. Moreover, the platform provides sophisticated trading features like limit orders, stop-loss orders, and others, empowering you to control your risk more efficiently.
- Investigative Tools – Interactive Investor equips investors with numerous research and analytical resources to help them stay updated on the latest market movements. This includes access to corporate assessments, news updates, market analyses, and real-time financial data. Furthermore, the platform provides a wide array of educational content, including articles, webinars, and a thorough investment terminology glossary
With II, you know exactly how much you’ll be charged without being surprised by hidden fees or charges.
The trading platform also provides access to an extensive range of investment options, including shares, bonds, funds, ETFs and investment trusts.
Saxo Share Dealing Platform – A Comprehensive Solution for UK Traders
The Saxo share dealing platform, known for its user-friendly interface and comprehensive range of trading tools, is a popular choice among UK traders.
Offering competitive pricing features and an array of investment products, it caters to the needs of both novice and experienced traders.
Key features include:
- Competitive Pricing Structure – Saxo offers a transparent and competitive pricing structure for UK traders. Their fees are based on a tiered model that considers the trader’s trading volume, ensuring that larger traders benefit from more favourable rates. For UK shares and ETFs, Saxo charges a fee of £8 per trade, making it a cost-effective option for those trading in domestic markets. Additionally, they provide access to international markets with competitive fees, catering to those interested in expanding their trading horizons.
- Reduced Costs for Active Traders– The Saxo share dealing platform acknowledges the needs of active traders and rewards them with lower fees. As traders increase their trading volume, they can enjoy discounts on their trades, thus reducing their overall trading costs. This feature particularly appeals to traders who make frequent transactions and want to minimise their expenses.
- No Hidden Fees – Transparency is a key feature of the Saxo trading platform. There are no hidden fees or charges when you trade on the platform. By providing a clear breakdown of all costs associated with trading, Saxo makes it easy for traders to understand and manage their expenses.
- Access to a Range of Investment Products – Saxo provides an array of investment products, including shares, ETFs, bonds, forex, CFDs, futures, commodities and listed options.
- Comprehensive Trading Tools and Research – The Saxo share dealing platform is equipped with an array of advanced trading tools and research resources to help traders make informed decisions. These tools include advanced charting capabilities, real-time market data, and access to in-depth research reports. In addition, the platform provides educational materials, such as webinars and articles, to help traders improve their trading skills.
- Extensive Analytical Instruments and Resources – The Saxo share dealing platform furnishes traders with sophisticated trading tools and research materials, enabling them to make well-informed decisions. These resources include cutting-edge charting functionalities, live market information, and thorough research reports. Additionally, the platform provides educational content, including webinars and articles, to aid traders in expanding their knowledge and honing their trading abilities.
With a current worldwide customer base exceeding 876,000, Saxo allows you to capitalise on competitive trading fees, an expansive selection of investment options, and advanced trading capabilities.
Additional Tips for Choosing a Share Dealing Platform
When comparing share dealing platforms, it’s essential to consider additional factors beyond fees and investment options.
Making the right choice is easier if you follow these tips:
Read reviews: Look for reviews from real users to understand the platform’s overall performance, customer support, and user experience. Remember that every investor’s needs and preferences may differ, so take the time to find a platform that aligns with your unique requirements.
- Test the platform: Many share dealing platforms offer demo accounts or free trials, which can be an excellent way to test the platform’s features, tools, and user interface before committing to it. Take advantage of these opportunities to ensure the platform suits your needs and preferences.
- Check the platform’s security: Consider the security measures that protect your financial information and personal information when choosing a share dealing platform. Look for platforms offering two-factor authentication, secure encryption, and other security features to protect your investments.
- Evaluate customer support: Quality customer support can make all the difference when encountering issues or having questions about your investments. Look for platforms with responsive, knowledgeable customer support teams available through various phone, email, and live chat channels.
- Consider additional fees: While trading fees are a significant factor, consider other potential costs, such as account management fees, inactivity fees, and currency conversion fees. These fees can add up over time and impact your overall returns, so factoring them into your decision-making process is crucial.
Which stockbroker has the lowest trading fees in the UK?
Several platform providers in the UK offer low-fee share dealing, including:
- Interactive Investor – Interactive Investor offers clients a flat fee of £7.99 per trade, which is relatively low compared to other platforms. They also provide various dealing account types, including ISA, SIPP, and Trading accounts
- AJ Bell – AJ Bell offers a flat fee model of £9.95 per trade, with a maximum charge of £4.95 per trade for frequent traders who make 10 or more trades pm. AJ Bell has been given Which? Recommended Provider on four occasions, with an award-winning range of accounts
- IG Platform – The IG trading platform applies a fixed fee of £8 per transaction for trading UK stocks and ETFs. You can buy and sell shares commission-free for US shares, ensuring cost-effective trading opportunities for its users. Besides providing access to domestic markets, the platform also grants entry to international markets, expanding the range of investment possibilities. Furthermore, IG accommodates a diverse array of investment products, catering to the distinct requirements and interests of traders
- Saxo – Offers traders a fixed fee of £8 per transaction for trading UK shares. For frequent (VIP traders), this falls to £5 per trade. US share trading ranges from $10 to $3 per trade, depending on how much you trade
- Hargreaves Lansdown – HL charges a fee of £11.95 per trade, slightly higher than Interactive Investor. Whilst more expensive than many stockbrokers as one of the pioneering and largest investment platforms in the UK, many use them for their broad investment offering and extensive research tools
What is the best stock broker for beginners in the UK?
The accessible design of IG’s platform and its educational content make it an ideal choice for those new to investing.
Leveraging their tools and resources allows users to enhance their market understanding and make informed decisions. Although IG’s fees may rank as less economical, beginner investors may appreciate the platform’s added support and guidance.
What is the cheapest trading platform to invest in US shares?
Just €0.50 + $0.004 per share per trade makes Degiro one of the most attractive options for investors looking to invest in US shares.
Here is an outline of 4 platforms that offer competitive trading fee structures for US stocks:
- Degiro – Degiro is known for its low fees, and for US shares, they charge €0.50 + $0.004 per share
- Interactive Brokers – Interactive Brokers offers competitive pricing for US shares, with fees starting at $0.005 per share with a minimum charge of $1 per order. They also offer a tiered pricing structure for more active traders, which could further reduce costs.
- IG – IG charges a fee of $0 for trading US shares for clients who make at least three trades per month. For less active traders, the fee is £10 per trade.
- Saxo – Saxo offers a fee of $3 for trading US shares, making it a cost-effective option for those interested in US markets.
What is the cheapest trading platform for pensions?
If you’re looking to invest in a pension, it’s crucial to consider the fees associated with managing your account, as these can eat into your long-term returns.
Interactive Brokers offers a low-cost SIPP (Self-Invested Personal Pension) option with competitive fees. For UK shares, their fixed-rate pricing starts at £1 per trade, while the tiered pricing starts at £0.05 per share with a minimum of £1 per trade.
Other platforms, such as Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell, also offer SIPP accounts, but their fees may be higher than those charged by Interactive Brokers. Always compare the fees, investment options, and account features to find the best platform for your pension investments.
Choosing the right share dealing platform is essential in your investment journey. By considering factors such as fees, investment options, user experience, and additional features, you can find a platform that meets your needs and helps you achieve your financial goals.
Interactive Brokers, Degiro, IG, AJ Bell, Interactive Investors and Saxo each offer unique features and benefits that cater to different investors and investment styles. As a beginner, focus on platforms that provide educational resources, user-friendly interfaces, and low fees to start confidently. As you gain experience, you may explore more advanced platforms or expand your investments across multiple platforms to diversify your portfolio and access additional investment options.
The risk of investing always exists, so starting with an amount you can afford to lose and diversifying your investments is important. By conducting thorough research, staying informed about market trends, and periodically reviewing your portfolio, you can maximise your chances of achieving your financial goals through share dealing. Good luck, and happy investing!
How much money should I invest?
How much should I start share dealing with?
What is the cheapest share dealing platform to invest in an ISA?
How do I select the best investment app?
How do I choose what to invest in?
Investing in low-cost index funds or ETFs is a good starting point for beginners since they provide diversification and have lower fees than actively managed funds. As you gain experience and knowledge, you may choose to invest in individual stocks or other types of investments.
It’s also essential to conduct thorough research on any investment you’re considering, examining factors such as the company’s financial health, industry trends, and historical performance. You may also want to consult with a financial adviser for personalised guidance.
Ensure your portfolio is diversified to spread the risk and is regularly reviewed to ensure it is aligned with your investment goals.
In conclusion, finding the right share dealing platform can make all the difference in your investment journey. Fees, investment options, and user experience are all factors to consider when choosing a platform that fits your needs.