- Named driver no claims discount
- Matched no claims discount – If you are the only person insured on your Direct Line for Business van insurance policy and you purchase a second van that will only be driven by you, they will match the number of years on your existing van and allow a discount.
- Accidental & Malicious Damage
- Tools cover (up to £500)
- Personal accident cover
- Medical expenses
- New van replacement**
*10% of customers paid this or less. Based on policies sold 1st March 2018 – 31st August 2018. Excludes add ons. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.
**If your vehicle is less than one year old and you are the first and only registered owner, Direct Line will replace it with one of the same make and model. t&cs apply.
- Minimum Age 21 & hold a UK or EU driving license and are permanently resident in the UK
- The total number of convictions, fixed penalties or disqualifications for all drivers does not exceed 3 in the last 5 years
- The total number of accidents or claims for all drivers does not exceed 5 in the last 3 years
- The vehicle is kept at your address and has not been modified or altered in any way (including wheels, suspension, bodywork and engine), other than external signage, internal paneling and/or internal or external racking
- Your business or the business of your employer is not in any way connected with any of the following: the entertainment or fashion industry, professional sports, foreign service, foreign diplomatic personnel, mini-cab drivers or mini-cab controllers
- Your vehicle is not used for the purpose of cooking food or providing hot or cold refreshments such as Ice Cream Vans, Burger Vans or does not carry hot bitumen or any other heated or refrigerated or frozen goods
- The annual mileage of your vehicle does not exceed 50,000
- Legal cover – Up to £100,000 of cover
- Helpline – 24/7 motoring legal helpline
- Windscreen – cover for comprehensive policies
- Accidental damage & vandalism – cover for comprehensive policies
* 10% of all customers buying Van Insurance with us from 1st January 2018 to 30th June 2018 paid less than £171
- You are the owner and registered keeper of the van
- Must be permanently resident in the UK
- Have never had insurance cancelled, refused or special terms imposed on any policy within the last 5 years
- Have not been convicted of any non-motoring offences e.g. theft, dishonesty, fraud and drink/drug related offences in the last 5 years
- The van will be used for one sole occupation
- The van is not left hand drive
- Motor Legal Protection as standard
- Choice of Excess – range of excess options
- 24/7 Emergency Helpline
- Guaranteed Repairs – for three years when using Approved Repairer
- Free Courtesy Vehicle – Comprehensive cover only & subject to availability
- Van Audio & Navigation Equipment – up to £750 cover for original manufacturer equipment and up to £300 for other equipment fitted to your van
- Windscreen Cover – comprehensive cover only
- Replacement Locks – covered up to £300 if your van keys are stolen
- Personal Belongings – covered up to £100 if they are damaged or stolen
- Must be over 18 years old
- Must be UK resident
- Vehicle must be kept at the home address declared within the quotation
- Vehicle weight must not exceed 3.5 tonnes
- 10% online discount and up to 60% no claims discount
- 98% of van insurance claim paid out**
- Accident recovery – repair your vehicle or damaged windscreens by the road
- Guaranteed courtesy van – when we’re repairing your van at an approved garage following an accident
- Your valuables – If you have things like Sat Navs and permanently-fitted audio players installed, we’ll pay towards replacing them if they’re lost or stolen. We’ll also pay up to £250 towards the cost of any other personal belongings lost or damaged while in your van.
- Taking your van abroad? – Covered for up to 93 days’ travel in the EU
*10% of our customers paid this or less between January and March 2018
** Based on AXA Van Insurance claims made in 2015
- All drivers must be aged between 25 and 75
- Must be UK residents
- Your van insurance policy will only cover you for the insured van
- The maximum amount of named drivers allowed on the policy at any one time is four
What Does Van Insurance Cover?
This will depend on the insurance company but typically things covered by van insurance policies could include:
- 24 hour van accident recovery
- Medical expenses for injury caused in an accident
- Cover for a variety of van usage including carriage of own goods, carriage of goods for hire or reward, and haulage
- New for old cover on vans less than 12 months old
- Van Breakdown cover (usually an optional feature you pay for)
- Cover for item carried in the van such as tools or goods
- Van windscreen repair or replacement
- Courtesy vans are often available in the event of an accident, providing that the van has not been written off
- Legal expenses cover – If you get into an accident in your van and it’s not your fault, you will want to claim back your excess and other costs, for example vehicle hire, from the negligent driver. Most importantly, the recovery of these costs will maintain your no-claims bonus.
How Much Does It Cost To Insure A Van?
This will depend on a number of factors and will also depend on the type of insurance you require:
- Third party only insurance – this is the minimum level of vehicle insurance required by law in the UK and covers damage to property or injury to others caused by your vehicle. However, it doesn’t cover damage to your own vehicle.
- Third party fire and theft – this type of insurance covers the same things as third party only insurance, with the addition of cover for damage to your vehicle by fire or the loss of your vehicle through theft.
- Comprehensive insurance – this type of insurance will cover you for the same eventualities as third party fire and theft, plus loss or damage to your vehicle, personal effects cover, windscreen damage, accidental damage, and even medical expenses.
- Telematics insurance – this type of insurance involves installing a ‘black box’ in your vehicle that tracks how you drive, meaning that you could receive cheaper premiums for showing safe driving behaviours