1 hour to 28 days. Instant cover for car, van and a range of other vehicles. Cost-effective and flexible options. Getting a customised quote takes a couple of minutes and you can be covered instantly.
Temporary Car Insurance
Compare Top UK Temporary Car Cover Deals
- Partnered with the best brands
- Comparative quotes
- Available in just a few moments
- Award winning UK call centre
- Cover can begin immediately
- Preventing loss of existing No Claims Bonus
- Multi award winning business
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months
- Compare quotes
- Instant cover
- Best price guarantee
- Van cover also available
- Cover for UK and Europe
- Cover for two drivers
- Must be between the age of 21 and 75, have held a full UK, EU, EEA or a Swiss driving licence for at least the past 12 months and have been resident in the UK during this time
- Online Comprehensive Cover
- Insure someone else on your car
- Online Quote in Seconds
- Print Certificate & Drive
- Drivers aged 19-75
- Full UK, EU, EEA or Commonwealth licence 1yr+
- No more than 6 penalty points
- No more than 2 claims
- Not been disqualified
- Right-hand-drive vehicles only
- Market Value over £1500 and under £45000
- No Modified Vehicles
- Get the practice you need whenever you want
- Protects the vehicle owners No Claims Discount
- All temporary learner driver policies from Tempcover come with comprehensive cover as standard
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months. To get a quote you’ll need:
- Any driver is allowed to supervise as long as they are over 21 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least three years (as long as they do not have a DR coded conviction within the last 5 years).
- Learner Driver can get as much extra practice as they like
- If it’s someone else’s car you are using, this independent policy removes the risk of any negative effect to their own policy – like losing their No Claims Bonus discount
- A more cost effective way to practice in addition to your driving lessons
- Flexibility to arrange instant cover when you need some extra driving practice from just 1 day
- Comprehensive cover on the vehicle whilst the learner is driving
- Accompanying driver must be a Full Licence holder, must be between 25-72 years of age, and must have held a Full UK, EEA or E Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years
Temporary Car Insurance
There are many circumstances where obtaining temporary car insurance is useful:
- If you have purchased a new car or a car at auction and you need instant cover to drive it away then a temporary car insurance policy could help you.
- Many parents wish to insure their children for a short period of time whilst they are home from university or have just learnt to drive. Because insurance for young drivers can be expensive, this could be the cheaper option you are looking for.
- If you need to rent a larger vehicle than the one you own to pick something up. (E.g. furniture, baggage or even people!)
If you wish to use another car for a business trip or a holiday.
If you are involved in a road accident and have a standard yearly insurance policy, it is likely that your premiums will sky rocket. However, with temporary car insurance policies your no claims bonus is not affected.
Temporary Car Insurance
24 Hours to 28 Day Car Cover
- Fast,flexible affordable car cover
- Compare quotes
- Takes 2 minutes
- Instant cover
So maybe you have borrowed a friend’s car or are using a hire car for a week – temporary car insurance is typically available from 1 day to 28 days and provides flexibility without a 12 month term car insurance contract. Some of the benefits of temporary car insurance include:
- No long-term commitment – Cover from 1 to 28 Days
- Pay By Debit/Credit Card
- Quick and simple to set up
So, if you need to set off soon, you can get the cover you need quickly and easily with temporary car insurance cover.
What is temporary car insurance?
This type of motor insurance is designed for everyday short term needs and typically allows you to be covered on a vehicle from 1 hour up to 30 days. Sometimes called day car insurance you decide on the exact time you need cover for.
How does temporary car insurance work?
Cover can be arranged on a short term basis for car, van and motorbikes as well as people learning to drive.
Insurance can be arranged on a comprehensive basis so the policy works just like a standard 12 month policy but for a shorter term. There is no long term contract. Once the short term car insurance policy expires it does not automatically renew.
You will receive a reminder that your policy is due to expire so you can renew if you want to. So if you just want cover for 1 hour, you can select the minute it will start.
What situations is temporary car insurance useful in?
Typical situations where temp cover for a vehicle might be useful include:
- When you need to borrow a car from a friend or family member – Being added to the vehicle owners existing insurance policy can be expensive, so this type of short term cover can be more cost effective and gives you greater control on exactly how long you want the insurance for. If you have an accident then the good news is that this type of cover will not impact the vehicle owners no claims discount. This is often a concern for vehicle owners as a claim on a policy can have a significant financial impact on annual premiums e.g. 5 years of no claims can reduce an annual car insurance policy by up to 65%.
- When you buy a new car – Millions of drivers buy a new car every year and the last thing you want to worry about is what happens if you have an accident when you drive the car home. Car dealerships will look to sell you insurance for this but this can be an expensive option. Drive away insurance is short term cover that can be arranged very quickly (in less than 2 minutes) and means you can drive your new vehicle home with peace of mind.
- Young drivers – for drivers aged 17 to 22 average insurance costs are high. When it comes to temporary insurance for younger drivers premiums can be very expensive or insurers don’t offer cover at all due to the perceived higher risk. The good news is that a number of insurers offer temporary car insurance for young drivers on a comprehensive basis with no claims discount protection. Insurance for learner drivers is also available from the age of 17.
What to look for when selecting a temporary car insurance provider?
Use a service where policies are compared so you get the best policy at the right price.
Using a comparison service means that you are benefiting from a panel of insurers who will cover a range of options for driving histories, professions, locations, ages and vehicle types (car, motorbike & van insurance).
Most providers will also offer additional options such as breakdown cover for the UK and Europe if required.
Providers providing insurance should be authorised & regulated by the financial conduct authority.
Who can get temporary insurance?
You can get cover if you are:
- Aged between 18 and 78
- Learner cover from age 17
- Hold a full UK or EU driving licence
- Have held the licence for at least 6 months
- Vehicle is valued between £800 and £65,000
- Driver with penalty points – time limits & certain restrictions may apply
Compare options for temporary car insurance
Why Do I Need Car Insurance?
Compare Car Insurance
Car Insurance in the UK is compulsory under the 1988 Road Traffic Act and it is an offence to take a car onto a public highway without at least third party insurance in place.
Most basic car insurance policies cover third party, fire and theft covering third party liabilities as well as damage to the car caused by fire or loss due to theft. Comprehensive car insurance which is more expensive covers third party, fire and theft but also covers any damage caused by the driver to the car being driven.
According to the Motor Insurers Bureau uninsured drivers (approximately two million motorists according to the department of transport) inflict approximately £380 million of damage on UK roads which is passed on in higher insurance premiums.
Under the law a car must have a valid car insurance policy if it is taxed or not or whether it is kept on a public highway or not and whether it is driven or not.
If a car is not being used its tax disc must be redeemed and the relevent declaration (SORN) completed to confirm that the car is being kept off public roads. The scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. the maximum penalty for offenders is £5,000 and an automatic endorsement of your driver license with 6 to 8 penalty points.
What Are The Different Types Of Car Insurance
See below for different types of car insurance:
Type of Car Insurance
Car Insurance Features
Comprehensive Car Insurance
|As the name suggests provides cover both to third parties but also to you and your own car and passengers in the event of an accident. This type of cover usually allows you to drive another car (may only be on a third party basis).|
Car Legal Expenses Insurance
Normally sold as an add on to car insurance and provides legal expense cover in the event of a dispute e.g. if you are in an accident that is not your fault you may wish to claim back uninsured losses and legal expense cover will help you fund the legal costs.
Third Party Car Insurance
|Third party car insurance is the minimum cover required by UK law on a vehicle used ona public highway. If you have an accident this cover will protect you from having to pay for damage to other vehicles. You cannot make a claim against your own vehicle.|
Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance
|In addition to covering third party liabilites this cover also provides financial protection in the event of damage to your car in the event of fire or loss due to theft.|
How Do I Get The Best Car Insurance Rates?
As with many things in life the more time you put into something the more you will get out and with buying car insurance spending some time understanding what to look out for can save you both time and money in the long run and should ensure that you end up with the right cover.
Things to consider:
If you are under 25 you will generally pay more for car insurance. For teenagers the cost of car insurance can be very high. Some insurers provide young driver car insurance schemes e.g. The Co-op and Young Marmalade provide specialist insurance for younger drivers
To keep the cost of car insurance down many insurers provide you with the option of a voluntary excess on any claim. This is paid over and above any compulsory excess on the policy.
In the past specialist women’s car insurance providers could offer a better deal. Women generally tend to make less expensive claims than men, and so insurance companies historically reflected this in offering cheaper premiums. However, in March 2012, the European Court of Justice ruled that insurance providers cannot discriminate on gender. This ruling came into effect from December 2012.
Some car insurers will adjust their car insurance premium based on the mileage you do. It is important you give an accurate indication of expected annual mileage to ensure you are not paying more than you need to. Check with your existing car insurer (if relevant) – If you already have an existing car check with your existing insurer about adding a second car onto the policy. Some car insurance companies will provide you with a discount for including a second vehicle – often called multi car insurance.
Using a Comparison website
Online comparison websites provide a useful and easy way of getting car insurance quotes. No car insurance comparison website covers the whole market so it makes sense to use more than one source to ensure you are getting the right cover at the right price. You should also note that some insurance companies do not appear on comparison websites e.g. Direct Line Car Insurance and Aviva Car Insurance
Using a Car Insurance broker
If you are not sure what cover you need or want somebody to help you through the process there are many car insurance brokers who will be happy to help. A good insurance broker will not help you in buying car insurance but also provide support in the event that you need to make a claim.If you intend to use a broker you should check their FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) registration on the FCA website.
Providing correct information
In assessing the insurance risk an insurance company will rely on the information that you give as being accurate. Information provided will determine whether insurance is provided and the cost of premiums. It is therefore important that any information you provide is correct e.g. information on any driving offences where you have been given points can have a material impact on the premium you are required to pay. Non disclosure of such information at the time of application can result in a non payout in the event of a claim. If you are using a car insurance broker this is where valuable advice can be provided.
Cheapest is not always best
With insurance you generally get what you pay for so before you sign up to an insurance policy you should be aware of what you are covered for and what is excluded. You should consider what you need and ensure you are adequately covered. This may mean you have to pay more to get what you want.
When you buy car insurance and you pay by direct debit some insurance companies will automatically renew your car insurance policy at the renewal date. You should receive a written notice of the car insurance renewal and any increase in the premium. If you are not happy you need to be proactive and shop around before the renewal date and cancel the existing policy before renewal.
Changing your mind
You have the right to change your mind within a set period normally 14 days from purchase of the car insurance policy and have your money returned.
Car Insurance Providers
- AA Car Insurance
- Abbey Car Insurance
- Admiral Car Insurance
- Admiral Multi Car insurance
- Adrian Flux Car Insurance
- AIG Car Insurance
- Alliance and Leicester Car Insurance
- Allianz Car Insurance
- ASDA Car Insurance
- AVIVA Car Insurance
- Aviva Pay As You Drive Insurance
- Aviva Short Term Car Insurance
- AXA Car Insurance
- Barclays Car Insurance
- Bell Car Insurance
- Bell Direct Car Insurance
- BMW Car Insurance
- Budget Car Insurance
- Castle Cover Car Insurance
- Churchill Car Insurance
- CIS Car Insurance
- Click4Gap Car Insurance
- Co-op Car Insurance
- Columbus Motor Insurance
- Confused.com Car Insurance
- Confused.com Car Insurance Quotes
- Cornhill Car Insurance
- Cornhill Direct Car Insurance
- Debenhams Car Insurance
- Dial Direct Car Insurance
- Diamond Car Insurance
- Direct Line Car Insurance
- Direct Line Multi Car Insurance
- Eagle Star Car Insurance
- eCar Insurance
- Egg Car Insurance
- Elephant Car Insurance
- Endsleigh Car Insurance
- Equity Red Star Car Insurance
- esure Car Insurance
- Express Car Insurance
- First Alternative Car Insurance
- First Direct Car Insurance
- Ford Car Insurance
- Fortis Car Insurance
- GoCompare Car Insurance
- Green Insurance Company Car Insurance
- Greenbee Car Insurance
- Halifax Car Insurance
- Hastings Car Insurance
- Hastings Direct Car Insurance
- HSBC Car Insurance
- ibuyeco Car Insurance
- Insurance Choice Car Insurance
- Insurepink Car Insurance
- insurance.co.uk Car Insurance
- Insurancewide Car Insurance
- its4me Car Insurance
- John Lewis Car Insurance
- Kwik-Fit Car Insurance
- LV= (Liverpool Victoria) Car Insurance
- Lloyds Car Insurance
- M&S Car Insurance
- Moneysupermarket Car Insurance
- More Than Car Insurance
- Natwest Car Insurance
- Nissan Car Insurance
- Norwich Union Car Insurance
- Norwich Union Direct car insurance
- Norwich Union Pay As You Drive car insurance
- Post Office Car Insurance
- Privilege Car Insurance
- Provident Car Insurance
- Provisional Marmalade Car Insurance
- Prudential Car Insurance
- Quinn Car Insurance
- Quinn Direct Car Insurance
- Quote Me Happy
- RAC Car Insurance
- Renault Car Insurance Quotes
- Rover Car Insurance Quotes
- Saga Car Insurance
- Sainsbury’s Bank Car Insurance
- Santander Car Insurance
- Screentrade Car Insurance
- Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance
- Skipton Car Insurance
- Swiftcover Car Insurance
- Swinton Car Insurance
- Tesco Car Insurance
- Tesco Compare Car Insurance
- The Co-operative Car Insurance
- Toyota Car Insurance
- Vauxhall Car Insurance
- Virgin Money Car Insurance
- Volvo Car Insurance
- Yes Car Insurance
- Young Marmalade
- Zenith Car Insurance
- Zurich Connect Car Insurance