Instant cover for car, van and a range of other vehicles. Cost-effective and flexible options, we’re confident you can find a policy to suit your needs. Getting a customised quote takes a couple of minutes and you can be covered instantly.
Temporary Car Insurance
Compare Temporary Short Term Car Insurance
Compare Temporary Car Insurance Quotes
- Partnered with the best brands
- Comparative quotes
- Available in just a few moments
- Award winning UK call centre
- Cover can begin immediately
- Preventing loss of existing No Claims Bonus
- Multi award winning business
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months
- Online Comprehensive Cover
- Insure someone else on your car
- Online Quote in Seconds
- Print Certificate & Drive
- Drivers aged 19-75
- Full UK, EU, EEA or Commonwealth licence 1yr+
- No more than 6 penalty points
- No more than 2 claims
- Not been disqualified
- Right-hand-drive vehicles only
- Market Value over £1500 and under £45000
- No Modified Vehicles
- Get the practice you need whenever you want
- Protects the vehicle owners No Claims Discount
- All temporary learner driver policies from Tempcover come with comprehensive cover as standard
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months. To get a quote you’ll need:
- Any driver is allowed to supervise as long as they are over 21 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least three years (as long as they do not have a DR coded conviction within the last 5 years).
- Learner Driver can get as much extra practice as they like
- If it’s someone else’s car you are using, this independent policy removes the risk of any negative effect to their own policy – like losing their No Claims Bonus discount
- A more cost effective way to practice in addition to your driving lessons
- Flexibility to arrange instant cover when you need some extra driving practice from just 1 day
- Comprehensive cover on the vehicle whilst the learner is driving
- Accompanying driver must be a Full Licence holder, must be between 25-72 years of age, and must have held a Full UK, EEA or E Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years
Temporary Car Insurance
There are many circumstances where obtaining temporary car insurance is useful:
- If you have purchased a new car or a car at auction and you need instant cover to drive it away then a temporary car insurance policy could help you.
- Many parents wish to insure their children for a short period of time whilst they are home from university or have just learnt to drive. Because insurance for young drivers can be expensive, this could be the cheaper option you are looking for.
- If you need to rent a larger vehicle than the one you own to pick something up. (E.g. furniture, baggage or even people!)
If you wish to use another car for a business trip or a holiday.
If you are involved in a road accident and have a standard yearly insurance policy, it is likely that your premiums will sky rocket. However, with temporary car insurance policies your no claims bonus is not affected.
Temporary Car Insurance
24 Hours to 28 Day Car Cover
- Fast,flexible affordable car cover
- Compare quotes
- Takes 2 minutes
- Instant cover
So maybe you have borrowed a friend’s car or are using a hire car for a week – temporary car insurance is typically available from 1 day to 28 days and provides flexibility without a 12 month term car insurance contract. Some of the benefits of temporary car insurance include:
- No long-term commitment – Cover from 1 to 28 Days
- Pay By Debit/Credit Card
- Quick and simple to set up
So, if you need to set off soon, you can get the cover you need quickly and easily with temporary car insurance cover.
What is temporary car insurance?
This type of motor insurance is designed for everyday short term needs and typically allows you to be covered on a vehicle from 1 hour up to 30 days. Sometimes called day car insurance you decide on the exact time you need cover for.
How does temporary car insurance work?
Cover can be arranged on a short term basis for car, van and motorbikes as well as people learning to drive.
Insurance can be arranged on a comprehensive basis so the policy works just like a standard 12 month policy but for a shorter term. There is no long term contract. Once the short term car insurance policy expires it does not automatically renew.
You will receive a reminder that your policy is due to expire so you can renew if you want to. So if you just want cover for 1 hour, you can select the minute it will start.
What situations is temporary car insurance useful in?
Typical situations where temp cover for a vehicle might be useful include:
- When you need to borrow a car from a friend or family member – Being added to the vehicle owners existing insurance policy can be expensive, so this type of short term cover can be more cost effective and gives you greater control on exactly how long you want the insurance for. If you have an accident then the good news is that this type of cover will not impact the vehicle owners no claims discount. This is often a concern for vehicle owners as a claim on a policy can have a significant financial impact on annual premiums e.g. 5 years of no claims can reduce an annual car insurance policy by up to 65%.
- When you buy a new car – Millions of drivers buy a new car every year and the last thing you want to worry about is what happens if you have an accident when you drive the car home. Car dealerships will look to sell you insurance for this but this can be an expensive option. Drive away insurance is short term cover that can be arranged very quickly (in less than 2 minutes) and means you can drive your new vehicle home with peace of mind.
- Young drivers – for drivers aged 17 to 22 average insurance costs are high. When it comes to temporary insurance for younger drivers premiums can be very expensive or insurers don’t offer cover at all due to the perceived higher risk. The good news is that a number of insurers offer temporary car insurance for young drivers on a comprehensive basis with no claims discount protection. Insurance for learner drivers is also available from the age of 17.
What to look for when selecting a temporary car insurance provider?
Use a service where policies are compared so you get the best policy at the right price.
Using a comparison service means that you are benefiting from a panel of insurers who will cover a range of options for driving histories, professions, locations, ages and vehicle types (car, motorbike & van insurance).
Most providers will also offer additional options such as breakdown cover for the UK and Europe if required.
Providers providing insurance should be authorised & regulated by the financial conduct authority.
Who can get temporary insurance?
You can get cover if you are:
- Aged between 18 and 78
- Learner cover from age 17
- Hold a full UK or EU driving licence
- Have held the licence for at least 6 months
- Vehicle is valued between £800 and £65,000
- Driver with penalty points – time limits & certain restrictions may apply
Compare options for temporary car insurance