People of all ages, sexes, races and from all walks of life can be affected by issues of mental health, including depression, but an insurance company is likely to take your wider health into consideration when deciding whether or not to offer you an insurance quote.
Some other factors likely to be taken into consideration when deciding on the terms of your insurance policy:
- The severity of the illness
- the length of time you have suffered from the illness
- If the depression led to time off work
- If there have been suicidal thoughts and any attempted suicide
- Any medication that is taken to deal with depression
Clinical depression is an unpredictable illness. Those who suffer from depression tend towards self-harm and this is a high risk factor for an insurance company to consider. For this reason, depression is often excluded from critical illness insurance policies.