Direct Line Home Insurance Review
- Free 24/7 UK emergency
- UK based 24-hour call centre
- You can choose how your policy pays out
- You can choose between cash or brand new replacement items.
- No mid-term amendment fee if you need to make a change to your policy
- Home emergency is included as standard
They offer three tiers of service: Home Insurance, Home Insurance Plus and Select Premier. Select Premier offers all of Home Insurance Plus but with extra personalised features and a policy which includes your home, cars and pets.
- Buildings Insurance – up to £1 million cover
- Contents Insurance – Up to £50,000, UK only (For worldwide insurance, they offer a Select premier option) You can add on optional extra coverage to this plan. This includes items such as: legal expenses, personal possessions, accidental damage, family legal protection etc
Home Insurance Plus
- Building Insurance with unlimited cover
- Contents Insurance – Up to £1,000,000, UK only (For worldwide insurance, they offer a Select premier option)
- An emergency plumber within 3 hours, With Direct Line Home Plus
- Personal Possessions – Included for up to 60 days worldwide
- Accidental Damage cover
- Legal expenses Cover
- Home emergency included, up to £500
- Annual travel insurance
Overall: Directline offer a good deal on home insurance. The online discount deal makes for an attractive incentive and the included home emergency plan sets it apart from many other providers.
Choosing Home Insurance
When you’re choosing your home insurance, there are many things to consider.
We’ve narrowed down some of the key elements of home insurance which you should be looking for.
- Is your property specialist? – If you own a listed building or if your property has an unusual feature such as a thatched roof, you may need specialist cover.
- Do you need buildings and content cover? – It’s generally advised that you take out both but it does depend on your individual circumstances.
- Make sure the policy provides enough cover for you – All policies have their limits and it’s wise to make sure that your home is covered for the rebuild value rather than the market value. Cost your contents to make sure the policy will be enough to cover it all, most people vastly underestimate how much their home contents are worth.
- What is New for Old and do I need it? – New for Old cover for your possessions is worth considering, it’s offered as standard in many contents policies now. It simply means that you will receive a similar but new product to the old item, rather than the value of the old one.
- What excess are you able to pay? – Many home insurance policies come with excess charges, both voluntary and compulsory, so make sure your chosen provider’s excess policy works for you.Customers could save up to £116 with Direct Line Buildings and Contents Insurance (10% of consumers could achieve this saving with Direct Line Buildings and Contents Insurance. Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 01 August - 31 August 2016). Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.
What is Home Insurance?
Home Insurance is a way to be financially prepared for any emergencies which befall your home or possessions. This can include, fires, theft, adverse weather damage, burst pipes etc. These are not things we are expecting but do happen, so it’s good to be prepared.
You can take out buildings and contents insurance separately or as a joint plan. Most insurance companies now offer a host of extras, some included as standard and some as optional extras. These options can include plans such as: emergency cover, legal protection, outdoor content coverage, and many more.