Why choose family travel insurance?
As the name suggests, family travel insurance cover is aimed at families travelling together, with the party usually consisting of two adults and up to four children. However, some policies cover children over 18 who are still in education (such as university or college students), and some policies cover a higher number of children or adults. These differences are just one of the reasons why it is worth comparing different family travel insurance providers to make sure that you get the right cover for your family.
If you travel with your family only once or twice per year, a single trip family holiday insurance policy could be the most cost effective option when it comes to arranging comprehensive protection for all of the family at an affordable price. However, if you plan on taking several trips in a year, an annual family travel insurance policy may prove to be a more purse-friendly option. In order to find the best family travel insurance rates, it makes sense to compare a variety of travel insurance options before choosing one to cover your family.
Benefits of family travel insurance
- Higher levels of cover for families - You may receive higher cover levels on a family policy as there are more people to be covered - this could be in the form of additional baggage cover, higher cover level for alternative accommodation and increased cancellation cover.
- Sports and activities cover - A family holiday with people of different ages and interests could involve lots of different activities from sightseeing to scuba diving, so many family travel insurance policies cover a wide range of sports and activities as standard.
- Kids go FREE - A number of insurers also offer free cover for those under the age of 18. If you’re buying travel insurance for your family, named dependent children under 18 are often covered for free as long as they are travelling with a parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt or legal guardian.
- Cover for children over 18 – some family travel insurance providers allow you to include children aged 18 and over and in full time education on your family travel insurance policy.
- Cover for family members travelling separately - Some policies also allow the family members to travel separately within the year if taken as an annual policy. This could mean that parents are covered for business trips while children are covered for school trips abroad during the year, all on one family travel insurance policy.
Our free travel insurance comparison can help you to compare a number of family travel insurance quotes, compare:
- The best family travel insurance rates
- Online discounts on offer
- Family travel insurance policies for pre-existing medical conditions
- Additional and optional features
Just click on the links in the free table above to compare a number of family travel insurance policies, many of which include medical expenses and cancellation cover.