The Savings Landscape
All of us hold at least some of our wealth in cash and with the recent economic events around the world, it is easy to understand why there is a growing trend of people retaining their hard earned money in deposit based savings.
However, persistently low interest rates and the increase of the number of options available has created a challenging environment for savers at a time when making the most of the returns available from cash is more important than ever before.
Challenges We Face
There are a number of very real challenges that face us when considering what to do with our savings and how to go about it:
- Choice - being able to access a wide enough range of competitive savings options
- Research - comparing interest rates as well as considering financial security of the deposit taker and customer service record
- Keeping up to date - checking interest rates on our savings remain competitive compared to the current market
- Taking Action - switching savings to a better deal when a variable rate or bonus rate comes to an end
- Protection - making sure you have a solid spread of FSCS eligible institutions
- Paperwork - what to fill out and when and making sure it all goes smoothly
- Customer service - enjoying a good customer service experience
- Time - having enough time and energy to do all of the above
We have all been guilty of putting off till tomorrow that which needs to be done today, but unfortunately this type of inertia is all too common when addressing our savings and the impact of this over time can be significant.
The number of providers offering products and the wide range of rates available can make it difficult to stay on top. The result is that many savers have idle cash whose potential is being under utilised or cash that could work harder for them by switching to a more competitive rate.
It can also be very time consuming to keep your money in competitive accounts on an ongoing basis and there is also concern around keep your money safe as well as a desire to avoid all of the paperwork involved in opening and closing accounts.