Compare Contents Insurance for Personal Belongings

Taking out contents insurance for personal belongings will protect you if your possessions are lost, stolen or damaged. See the tables below to compare quotes and find the right level of contents insurance for your personal belongings, at the right price:

Compare Contents Insurance Quotes For Personal Belongings
Provided via:Total Number of InsurersContents InsuranceBuilding InsuranceLandlord & Tenant InsuranceGet Quotes
70+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
Latest Contents Insurance Provider Deals
ProviderBuildings Max Std CoverContents Max Std CoverFeatures:Get Quotes
Rebuild Cost£50,000

5 Star home insurance from just £99
10% of all customers buying home buildings and contents insurance with us from June 2017 to August 2017 paid £99 or less (Source: Aviva). The price you pay will depend upon individual circumstances, cover chosen and payment method selected.

Get Quotes >
£1 million£100,000

Over 50s Home Cover - Buildings and contents insurance from £141 a year – 51% of customers who paid annually and took out a new policy between May and July 2015 paid this or even less

Get Quotes >

Five star rated Platinum Home Insurance.
(Moneyfacts Home Insurance 2018). Choose from three levels of cover, covering some or all of: home emergency, boiler cover, family legal protection, accidental damage on both buildings and contents, personal possessions, bicycles, matching items, trace and access. Plus add optional extras. 24-hour Emergency Helpline

Get Quotes >

UK's number 1 rated home insurance provider. We compare policies from leading providers as well as our own to find you the right cover. Prices fixed for 2 years

Get Quotes >

Great value 'Defaqto' 5 Star rated cover. £1 million cover if you need to rebuild your home, choose up to £150,000 for your contents cover, 24-hour UK emergency helpline

Get Quotes >

5 Star Defaqto award-winning insurer.
Pay monthly at no extra cost (0% APR Representative). Low excess of just £45 (apart from escaping water and subsidence). No hidden admin fees. 'New for old' cover. Age UK Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited and provided by a limited panel of insurers.

Get Quotes >

Get a quote today and you could save 15% when you buy online. (Discount includes introductory and web discount, first year premium only. Minimum Premiums apply)

Get Quotes >

Get quotes from over 65 trusted home insurance brands in minutes. 20% of consumers could achieve a saving of £158 with (based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 1 October to 31 October 2016)

Get Quotes >

*There is no total sum insured, but other limits apply including single article and total valuables limits.

** Up to 50% offer includes introductory 25% discount applied to annual home insurance premium and not to additional extras. £30 gift card applies when purchasing new combined cover.

***99% of people who had a buildings and contents quote during May 2012 received a discount of at least 15%.

♦ Not available to customers renewing their existing cover

 ****Discount applies when you buy buildings and contents together. 30% combined and 20% online discount deducted consecutively. Excludes optional covers. Minimum premiums apply. New customers only.

Contents insurance is the branch of home insurance that is concerned with providing people with cover for the cost of replacing your belongings.


Generally your personal belongings will be covered by contents insurance from damage or loss relating to:

  • Fire, storm, flooding and earthquakes
  • Malicious acts and vandalism
  • Theft or attempted break in
  • Subsidence, heave or landslip
  • Water and oil escaping form pipes in the heating system

Some contents policies will help with the cost of replacing keys that have been lost and locks which have been broken.


Accidental damage cover will extend your contents insurance to cover damage caused by unexpected accidents. This will likely incur an extra cost.
Personal possessions cover can include personal belongings taken out of the home. This can be useful for people who rely on taking their laptop to work, or who have expensive gadgets and phones.


The excess paid on the contents insurance for personal belongings is the amount of money a person will contribute to a claim. Agreeing to paying a higher excess will reduce your premiums.


All policies come with a set of exclusions, whereby a claim cannot be made. Check the policy before you buy to ensure it offers the cover you need.


Most providers will offer contents insurance quotes with lower premiums for a combined buildings and contents insurance policy.