Contents Insurance for an Empty House

If you are going to be leaving a property vacant for a substantial period of time, it may well be a smart move to take out a contents insurance policy for your empty house. A person’s first reaction to the idea of providing contents insurance for an empty house may be that it is rare that an unoccupied property will be fully decked out with a family’s possessions. While this may be true, there are a number of situations in which a person will need to protect the things that are inside an unoccupied home.

There are a number of initial points to consider when it comes to protecting persons possessions if they are contained in an empty house. This is not to say that many insurance companies will not be able to provide you with competitive contents insurance, and we can in fact point you to the listed companies below.

Insurance for Unoccupied Homes
Insurance BrokerSpecialist InsuranceGet Quotes
Fast insurance quotes for unoccupied homes - over 30 day unoccupation not a problem - Holiday homes insured - Buildings and Contents insuranceGet Quotes >
Unoccupied Holiday Home Insurance Quotes - UK and Overseas Holiday Homes - Buildings and Contents insuranceGet Quotes >
Compare Home Insurance Quotes
Provided via:Total Number of InsurersContents InsuranceBuilding InsuranceLandlord & Tenant InsuranceGet Quotes
70YesYesYesGet Quotes >
80+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
70+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
Compare - Latest Home Insurance Deals
ProviderBuildings Max Std CoverContents Max Std CoverFeatures:Get Quotes
Rebuild Cost£50,000

5 Star home insurance from just £99
10% of all customers buying home buildings and contents insurance with us from June 2017 to August 2017 paid £99 or less (Source: Aviva). The price you pay will depend upon individual circumstances, cover chosen and payment method selected.

Get Quotes >
£1 million£100,000

Over 50s Home Cover - Buildings and contents insurance from £141 a year – 51% of customers who paid annually and took out a new policy between May and July 2015 paid this or even less

Get Quotes >

Five star rated Platinum Home Insurance.
(Moneyfacts Home Insurance 2018). Choose from three levels of cover, covering some or all of: home emergency, boiler cover, family legal protection, accidental damage on both buildings and contents, personal possessions, bicycles, matching items, trace and access. Plus add optional extras. 24-hour Emergency Helpline

Get Quotes >

UK's number 1 rated home insurance provider. We compare policies from leading providers as well as our own to find you the right cover. Prices fixed for 2 years

Get Quotes >

Great value 'Defaqto' 5 Star rated cover. £1 million cover if you need to rebuild your home, choose up to £150,000 for your contents cover, 24-hour UK emergency helpline

Get Quotes >

5 Star Defaqto award-winning insurer.
Pay monthly at no extra cost (0% APR Representative). Low excess of just £45 (apart from escaping water and subsidence). No hidden admin fees. 'New for old' cover. Age UK Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited and provided by a limited panel of insurers.

Get Quotes >

Get a quote today and you could save 15% when you buy online. (Discount includes introductory and web discount, first year premium only. Minimum Premiums apply)

Get Quotes >

Get quotes from over 65 trusted home insurance brands in minutes. 20% of consumers could achieve a saving of £158 with (based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 1 October to 31 October 2016)

Get Quotes >

*There is no total sum insured, but other limits apply including single article and total valuables limits.

** Up to 50% offer includes introductory 25% discount applied to annual home insurance premium and not to additional extras. £30 gift card applies when purchasing new combined cover.

***99% of people who had a buildings and contents quote during May 2012 received a discount of at least 15%.

♦ Not available to customers renewing their existing cover

 ****Discount applies when you buy buildings and contents together. 30% combined and 20% online discount deducted consecutively. Excludes optional covers. Minimum premiums apply. New customers only.

The First thing to consider is the fact most companies offering standard buildings and contents insurance will not insure houses left empty for more than a month. This is because there is an increased risk of:

  • attempted break in and theft
  • vandalism
  • unnoticed subsidence, storm or flood damage

So, you will most likely be better covered by taking out specialised unoccupied home insurance, but this leads to the second initial point of consideration. Most unoccupied home insurance does not provide contents insurance for the empty house, only buildings cover.

This will leave some people in a tricky position. If a person is leaving there home unoccupied for a couple of months but does not want to move all of their stuff out, they face three possibilities:

  • taking out a specialist unoccupied home insurance from the insureres listed above 
  • having to place the possessions in storage
  • taking out a second home policy

A second home policy could perhaps be the easiest way to get contents insurance for an empty house, but this depends on your situation and whether or not you think an empty house policy will provide you with the right level of protection.

With this kind of specialist requirement, it is all the more important to take the time required to analyse different contents insurance quotes. The companies we have listed above will provide you with a quick and effective service.