If your credit history is poor or you simply don’t have much in the way of previous credit built up, getting a loan can be challenging. With this type of loan, people with a poor credit history can borrow money with the help of a guarantor.
This is usually a friend or family member who has good credit history themselves and is prepared to guarantee the repayments if the borrower defaults. As long as the borrower makes the repayments on time, the guarantor will not have to pay anything.
Is a guarantor loan a good fit for me?
In the event that you have a bad credit record or have been turned down by different banks, then guarantor loans could be an option worth consideration. A guarantor loan could let you borrow more money than you would usually be able to with many other poor credit loan types. Making repayments on your guarantor loan in a timely manner could also help to rebuild your credit rating by demonstrating that you are able to make repayments consistently.
Choosing a guarantor for your loan
Practically anybody can be your guarantor, provided that they are not fiscally connected to you (i.e. your husband or wife). A guarantor could be a relative, friend or even a professional acquaintance.
Your guarantor will typically need to be older than 21, have a good credit score, and own a UK property. Becoming a guarantor a major financial and legal undertaking so it makes sense for you both to seek professional advice before you commit to a guarantor loan.
Compare Guarantor Loans
Finding a guarantor loan for your personal circumstances couldn’t be simpler.
We have partnered with Monevo who have created award winning technology to provide you with pre-approved* offers that are available to you in an easy to understand comparison.
By checking your eligibility you can simply choose the offer you want and complete your loan with your chosen lender
Personalised loan quotes in 2 minutes!
No impact on your credit score – FREE & no obligation – Quick online decision
Alternatively if you prefer contacting lenders directly see a selection of deals below.
Representative Example:The Representative APR is 31.9%. Based on a loan amount of £5,000 over 48 months at an interest rate of 31.9% p.a. (fixed). Monthly repayment of £192.00. Total amount repayable £9,216.
- Guarantor loan – a a way of borrowing the money you need with help from a friend or family member
- Poor credit, CCJ’s & Defaults always considered
- Guarantor can be a homeowner or a tenant
- Tenant guarantor loans of up to £6,000 available
- Fixed rate interest, your payment will not change during the loan
- Fast decision in principle
- Guarantor can be anyone who trusts you financially – a friend, partner, family member or colleague who simply acts as back up should you be unable to make your repayments
- Guarantor must have a fairly good credit history
- Guarantor must be aged between 21 and 70 at the start of the loan term