Insurance News 5 Reasons To Consider Unoccupied Property Insurance

Written by Editorial Team
20 November 2013 / by Isabel Buxton

Do you need specialist empty property insurance?

Unoccupied property insurance is often more expensive than standard building insurance due to the greater risk of damage from vandalism or fires. There are many reasons why a property may be empty, but the general rule is that if your property is empty for more than 30 days, you will probably need specialist unoccupied insurance.

2)    Check to see if you’re covered already

Most standard home insurance policies allow 30 consecutive days without occupation while maintaining full cover. However, not all insurance policies offer this, so check your own policy carefully.

3)    Landlord insurance may offer more cover as standard

Like many standard home insurance policies, most landlord insurance policies also allow for full cover for up to 30 consecutive days without occupation. Some landlord insurance policies offer up to 45 days, to accommodate the void periods that can occur when changing tenants. Bear in mind that, as with standard home insurance, it’s best to read your own policy carefully before deciding whether or not you need extra cover.

4)    Know what happens if your property is unoccupied for longer

If your property is unoccupied for longer than the permitted period and you subsequently make an insurance claim, it’s likely to be investigated and your claim may well be refused. That leaves you to pick up the financial loss yourself, whether to buildings, contents, or both.

5)    Take action to keep your property safe

If your property is going to be empty for less than 30 days:

As long as you have checked that your existing insurance policy covers you for up to 30 days, you don’t need to do anything as you should already be covered. To avoid problems that could result in an insurance claim, it makes sense to take precautions to protect your property using appropriate security measures during the 30 day period. Visit for information on schemes, advice and support in your area to help you keep your unoccupied property safe.

If your property is going to be empty for more than 30 days:

In most cases where a property is left unoccupied for over 30 days, you will need specialist unoccupied property insurance. A specialist unoccupied insurance provider can help you choose the right unoccupied property cover for your circumstances. Comparing the prices of at least two specialist brokers will mean you can determine the best price and insurance cover needed. The Property Insurer offers a simple quote service that takes just two minutes and allows three of the top unoccupied insurance specialists in the UK to quote for your property and circumstances. Once submitted, the brokers will contact you and offer their best rates. You can then simply pick the cover and price options that meet your needs.

Please remember to always check your policy’s small print to see exactly what events you’re covered for.
© Fair Investment Company