Instant cover for car, van and a range of other vehicles. Cost-effective and flexible options, we’re confident you can find a policy to suit your needs. Getting a customised quote takes a couple of minutes and you can be covered instantly.
Compare Pay As You Go Car Insurance Quotes!
Traditional car insurance policies assume that you own your own car and use it pretty much every day to get to and from work – and everywhere else.
But that doesn’t reflect the way that many urban car owners, newly-qualified drivers, or young drivers use their cars (or a friend or family member’s car).
- Partnered with the best brands
- Comparative quotes
- Available in just a few moments
- Award winning UK call centre
- Cover can begin immediately
- Preventing loss of existing No Claims Bonus
- Multi award winning business
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months
- Compare quotes
- Instant cover
- Best price guarantee
- Van cover also available
- Cover for UK and Europe
- Cover for two drivers
- Must be between the age of 21 and 75, have held a full UK, EU, EEA or a Swiss driving licence for at least the past 12 months and have been resident in the UK during this time
- Online Comprehensive Cover
- Insure someone else on your car
- Online Quote in Seconds
- Print Certificate & Drive
- Drivers aged 19-75
- Full UK, EU, EEA or Commonwealth licence 1yr+
- No more than 6 penalty points
- No more than 2 claims
- Not been disqualified
- Right-hand-drive vehicles only
- Market Value over £1500 and under £45000
- No Modified Vehicles
- Get the practice you need whenever you want
- Protects the vehicle owners No Claims Discount
- All temporary learner driver policies from Tempcover come with comprehensive cover as standard
- Must be 17 and older and have been a UK resident for a minimum of 12 months. To get a quote you’ll need:
- Any driver is allowed to supervise as long as they are over 21 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least three years (as long as they do not have a DR coded conviction within the last 5 years).
- Learner Driver can get as much extra practice as they like
- If it’s someone else’s car you are using, this independent policy removes the risk of any negative effect to their own policy – like losing their No Claims Bonus discount
- A more cost effective way to practice in addition to your driving lessons
- Flexibility to arrange instant cover when you need some extra driving practice from just 1 day
- Comprehensive cover on the vehicle whilst the learner is driving
- Accompanying driver must be a Full Licence holder, must be between 25-72 years of age, and must have held a Full UK, EEA or E Driving Licence for a minimum of 3 years
Car Insurers Who Offer Telematic Cover
- Our Guaranteed Hire Car cover comes as standard with our comprehensive motor insurance
- Fair claim commitment** – Unlike other insurers you can claim and your No Claim Discount is safe if the damage is caused by; potholes or poor road maintenance, theft from or of your car, being hit while parked, flood damage, if you hit or are hit by an animal, or hit by an object or debris (excluding vehicles) – see terms.
- Vandalism promise*** – If you make a claim for damage to your car caused by vandalism, you won’t lose your No Claim Discount – see terms.
- Uninsured driver promise**** – If an uninsured driver damages your car in an accident, Direct Line will repay your excess and restore your no claim discount once they have confirmed that the accident was the fault of the uninsured driver. The circumstances of the claim type could affect the policy premium paid – terms apply.
- Easy access – Manage your policy online.
*Discount available for every additional car you insure with Direct Line motor. Introductory discount. Minimum premiums apply. Maximum 10 vehicles per household
**With comprehensive cover as standard. Excess applies
***Comprehensive cover only, excess applies, crime reference number required. The damage can’t have been caused by another vehicle
****Registration number, make and model of the other car is needed to make a claim. Comprehensive cover required
- Minimum age – Must be 17 and hold a valid EU driving license and permanently resident in the UK
- Maximum age – Up to and including age 95
- Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
- Multi car discount – available for every additional car you insure with Churchill Motor Insurance. Introductory discount. Minimum premiums apply. Maximum 10 vehicles per household. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
- New vandalism promise – If your car is vandalised, Churchill will let you keep your no claim discount**
- Easy to access – Manage your car insurance policy online
- Write off replacement –If your car is written off, you can choose between a replacement, an upgrade or the money***
*Registration number, make and model of the other car is needed to make a claim. Comprehensive cover required
** Comprehensive cover only. Excess applies. Crime reference number required. The damage cant have been caused by another vehicle
***Comprehensive Cover is required. Service excludes theft claims. Subject to availability. Minimum car value £3500. Exact match may not be available. Upgrade available when difference in paid
- Must be 17 and hold a valid EU driving license and permanently resident in the UK
- Maximum age 96
- Total number of accidents or claims in last 3 years must not exceed 5
- The vehicle has not been modified in anyway
- Annual mileage does not exceed 50,000 miles
- Value of your vehicle is not greater than £50,000
- Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
Pay As You Go Car Insurance
Standard car insurance policies may not suit weekend drivers
Until recently, the options for infrequent drivers were;
- To be added on to a family member’s policy as a “named driver”.
- To find a policy with significantly lower rates for lower-mileage drivers.
- To take out short-term temporary car insurance.
If you own a car it must be insured all the time. But many car owners who live in the city and do most of their weekday commuting by public transport are paying for driver cover they don’t need while their car is sitting in the driveway.
A young driver could be included on a parent’s annual insurance policy. However this could be expensive if they only use the vehicle from time to time.
More flexible car insurance
A new type of insurance policy has been introduced to offer more flexibility and control to UK drivers.
- Telematics insurance policies use “black box” technology fitted to your car to track how much driving you do.
- Black box insurers usually charge a set amount per year and allow the policy-holder to drive a specified number of miles per year before being charged extra.
- Telematics technology insurers may allow you to purchase “top-up” bundles for miles, which can roll over to the following year if you don’t use them.
Another option for drivers are flexible short term, or temporary car cover policies. Temporary car insurance can be taken out from 1 hour to 30 days. You can apply for cover online and have a policy in place in minutes.
How does pay as you go car insurance work?
Pay as you drive cover can be attractive to younger age groups.
The cost of insurance premiums can be reduced with payg cover.
An insurer will require a telematic tracking box fitted into your car which is about the size of a mobile phone. This black box is a tracking device which allows an insurer to monitor your driving. The insurance company will charge on a per mile basis – some insurers will put apply discounts on this cost if you drive at off peak times.
So unlike traditional insurance policies where assumptions are made e.g. age, address, driving experience, telematic cover can be highly bespoke to your driving behaviour which is good news if you are a safe driver!
Research shows that people behave differently if they know they are being observed so telematic technology can result in better driving.
What are the drawbacks of this type of cover?
- It can be seen as a bit big brother!
- You will have to pay for the telematics device to be installed in your car.
- If you drive a lot of miles the savings you make may be minimal.
- There is currently no distinction of type of roads. So if you drive on safer roads you will not benefit from someone who travels on motorways.
- Some insurers will impose curfew restrictions on when you can drive e.g. not after 11pm.
- Driving a high performance car will probably not help if you are looking to keep costs down.
- When you take out the policy you tell the insurer how many miles you need – e.g. 5000 miles. The rate per mile will depend on the insurance company and some will charge more if you go over the agreed amount.
PAYG car insurance may be ideal for:
- Car owners who use public transport on weekdays but need cover for short trips in the evenings and at weekends
- Young drivers using a parent’s car when they visit home
- Drivers using a relative or friend’s car irregularly
- Car Club users
- Older drivers who drive short local trips but use public transport for longer journeys
- New car purchases
And for business owners, PAYG van insurance can be a useful low-cost cover that helps to control overheads.
Insurance groups who offer this type of cover are authorized and regulated by the financial conduct authority (FCA).
See above for a selection of insurers who offer telematic insurance and temporary cover up to 30 days and save money.