Direct Line Home Insurance
Compare Direct Line Home Insurance With UK Market
Great Home Insurance Offers!
Compare Over 40+ UK Home Insurance Quotes!
- One short form to complete
- Compare UK building, contents, or combined home insurance providers
- Find a policy to suit your needs!
- *Based on 10% of Admiral tier Instaquote building and contents combined customers between January and June 2021 paid from £113
- Choose from three levels of cover: Admiral, Gold or Platinum
- Unlimited buildings cover
- Up to £150,000 contents cover
- Bicycle cover (under £350)
- Optional additional cover including bicycle cover worth more than £350, high value items and personal possessions
- Optional extras including Family Legal Protection, Home Emergency Cover, Boiler Emergency Cover and Accidental Damage Cover
- 24 hour emercny helpline
- Moneyfacts’ Home Insurance Provider of the Year, Moneyfacts’ highest five star rating, Insurance Choice Awards Best Home Insurance Provider 2019
- Admiral.com Home Insurance is rated 9.1 out of 10 based on 4084 Revoo reviews from the last 12 months
- 20 million policies: Over the past 28 years, the Admiral Group has served millions of policies to our vast customer base.
- Build your policy from three levels of Bronze, Silver or Gold Cover for buildings, contents or both. Then tailor your policy with optional add-ons
- Change your policy at any time, without admin fees or hidden charges. You can even cancel at no extra cost
- If you’re an existing customer, you won’t pay more than a new customer for the same cover
- From £10,000 to Unlimited Alternative Accommodation Cover if you can’t stay in your current home as the result of an approved claim
- Valuable cover from £10,000 to £40,000
- Optional add-ons including Personal Cyber Cover, Legal Expenses Cover, Accidental Damage Cover for contents and/or buildings, Bicycle Cover. Student Cover, Home Emergency and Boiler Servicing Cover, and Gadget Cover
- Extras included as standard in our Saga Home cover level:
• Accidental damage cover means mishaps at home, such as dropping a laptop or spillages on carpets, don’t have to be costly.
• Personal belongings cover protects items you take out with you up to £10,000 (single item limit £2,500).
• Alternative accommodation is based on your individual circumstances, so you’re covered to stay in a place like home if you have to move out due to a claim.
• 3-year fixed price means no unexpected price increases for two renewals.
Saga’s home insurance policies are unique products and are designed by us specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that, like us, are committed to providing high standards of quality and service
Cover for your property, possessions and more.
Damage to your property and possessions
- Caused by events such as fire, theft, subsidence and flooding
- Includes damage to garages and outbuildings and their contents
Cost of alternative accommodation (including loss of rent)
- We’ll pay for accommodation if your home can’t be lived in due to damage covered by your policy
- And if you’re a landlord, we’ll also cover you for any lost rent while the property is uninhabitable
Liability protection for injuries or property damage
- If you’re legally liable as the homeowner or occupier or if you’re an employer of domestic services (eg a cleaner)
What’s not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:
- Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
- Damage that’s been caused over time
- Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm
- Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design
Take a look at our policy wording for full details of what’s not covered.
- Comparing quotes from a range of providers lets you find the best deal at the best price, with the add-ons you need
- Quickly compare home insurance quotes
- We’ll show you which home insurance quotes are the cheapest along with claims experience, a quality score, home emergency cover and cover level
- Once you’ve found a policy that suits your needs, you can call or click through to apply for your home insurance policy directly with the insurer
- *51% of consumers could save up to 41.70%, or £90.17. Consumer Intelligence, November 2019
- Save £££’s online with our home insurance policies
- Buildings, contents or combined insurance available
- Add on optional extras
- Low prices with great value insurance
- Flexible, comprehensive home insurance
- CCJ’s, bankruptcy or offenders acceptable
- Cover available for vacant property
- Non standard construction insurance available
- 9 out of 10 customers rate overall claims service as excellent
What do I need to get a quote?
Getting a home insurance quote normally takes about 8 minutes. But having the following at hand could speed things up:
Your property’s build date: you can find the actual date in your mortgage survey or home buyer’s report
The date you bought your house or when you moved in.
Locks and alarms: Confused provide useful lock pictures to help you find which locks you have fitted.
Details and cost of any claims in the last five years: This’ll be stated in your renewal documents. Alternatively contact your previous insurer.
The rebuild cost of your house: Confused will often fill this in for you. But you can also calculate it yourself, or hire a chartered surveyor to carry out an assessment.
The total cost of your personal belongings: If you don’t know this, you can use the Confused.com contents calculator.
The details of any items you wish to insure that are worth over £1,000.
Roof type: Which materials are used on your roof – such as asphalt shingle, tile, slate or thatched.
What does home insurance cover?
Home insurance falls into 3 categories – buildings, contents and combined buildings and contents insurance policies.
Buildings insurance covers the bricks and mortar of your home, and contents insurance covers your belongings. Typically, contents are anything you can pack up and take with you if you move home, such as furniture, clothes, and TVs.
Combined buildings and contents insurance policies can help reduce the cost of home insurance, but they’re usually only suitable if you own your home. They insure your property against damage, but also cover your belongings under the same insurance policy.
You can compare all three policy types through Confused.com.
You can also add optional extras to your policy, such as home emergency cover and legal cover – however, some providers might include these as standard. Accidental damage cover is another extra worth considering, as it covers unintentional one-off incidents that harm your property or its contents.
For example, putting your foot through the floor when you’re up in the loft, or spilling red wine on the carpet.
- Cheaper insurance based on what you actually own – Every policy includes a free video survey with one of our accredited surveyors – meaning that in just 15 minutes, you’ll have an accurate figure of the exact level of cover you need
- Quick and easy claims – for items under £5,000 the survey will also serve as proof of ownership – meaning smoother, faster claims
- Get a quote in 60 seconds
- Your data is protected by bank and government grade technology, ensuring the highest levels of security and privacy. Your data will never be shared without your consent
- No cancellation fees
- No administration fees to make changes
- 24/7 UK based claims service
- Contents cover can include bicycle & gadget cover
- Damaged items get replaced with new
- Underwritten by Great Lakes, a fully owned subsidiary of Munich Re Group who are one of the world’s leading reinsurers
Direct Line Home Insurance
- Free 24/7 UK emergency
- UK based 24-hour call centre
- You can choose how your policy pays out
- You can choose between cash or brand new replacement items.
- No mid-term amendment fee if you need to make a change to your policy
- Home emergency is included as standard
They offer three tiers of service: Home Insurance, Home Insurance Plus and Select Premier. Select Premier offers all of Home Insurance Plus but with extra personalised features and a policy which includes your home, cars and pets.
- Buildings Insurance – up to £1 million cover
- Contents Insurance – Up to £50,000, UK only (For worldwide insurance, they offer a Select premier option) You can add on optional extra coverage to this plan. This includes items such as: legal expenses, personal possessions, accidental damage, family legal protection etc
Home Insurance Plus
- Building Insurance with unlimited cover
- Contents Insurance – Up to £1,000,000, UK only (For worldwide insurance, they offer a Select premier option)
- An emergency plumber within 3 hours, With Direct Line Home Plus
- Personal Possessions – Included for up to 60 days worldwide
- Accidental Damage cover
- Legal expenses Cover
- Home emergency included, up to £500
- Annual travel insurance
Overall: Directline offer a good deal on home insurance. The online discount deal makes for an attractive incentive and the included home emergency plan sets it apart from many other providers.
Choosing Home Insurance
When you’re choosing your home insurance, there are many things to consider.
We’ve narrowed down some of the key elements of home insurance which you should be looking for.
Is your property specialist? – If you own a listed building or if your property has an unusual feature such as a thatched roof, you may need specialist cover.
- Do you need buildings and content cover? – It’s generally advised that you take out both but it does depend on your individual circumstances.
- Make sure the policy provides enough cover for you – All policies have their limits and it’s wise to make sure that your home is covered for the rebuild value rather than the market value. Cost your contents to make sure the policy will be enough to cover it all, most people vastly underestimate how much their home contents are worth.
- What is New for Old and do I need it? – New for Old cover for your possessions is worth considering, it’s offered as standard in many contents policies now. It simply means that you will receive a similar but new product to the old item, rather than the value of the old one.
- What excess are you able to pay? – Many home insurance policies come with excess charges, both voluntary and compulsory, so make sure your chosen provider’s excess policy works for you.Customers could save up to £116 with Direct Line Buildings and Contents Insurance (10% of consumers could achieve this saving with Direct Line Buildings and Contents Insurance. Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 01 August – 31 August 2016). Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.
What is Home Insurance?
Home Insurance is a way to be financially prepared for any emergencies which befall your home or possessions. This can include, fires, theft, adverse weather damage, burst pipes etc. These are not things we are expecting but do happen, so it’s good to be prepared.
You can take out buildings and contents insurance separately or as a joint plan. Most insurance companies now offer a host of extras, some included as standard and some as optional extras. These options can include plans such as: emergency cover, legal protection, outdoor content coverage, and many more.
Home Insurance Providers
- AVIVA Home Insurance
- Columbus Home Insurance
- AA Home Insurance
- Abbey Home Insurance
- Admiral Home Insurance
- Age UK Home Insurance
- AIG Home Insurance
- ASDA Home Insurance
- AXA Home Insurance
- Bank of Scotland Home Insurance
- Barclays Home Insurance
- Birmingham Midshires Home Insurance
- Bradford and Bingley Home Insurance
- British Gas Home Insurance
- Castle Cover Home Insurance
- Churchill Home Insurance
- CIS Home Insurance
- Confused.com Home Insurance
- Co-operative Home Insurance
- Cornhill Direct Home Insurance
- Direct Line Home Insurance
- Direct Choice Home Insurance
- Elephant Home Insurance
- Endsleigh Home Insurance
- esure Home Insurance
- First4 Home Insurance
- GoCompare Home Insurance
- Greenbee Home Insurance
- Halifax Home Insurance
- Hastings Direct Home Insurance
- Hiscox Home Insurance
- Hiscox Overseas Home Insurance
- HSBC Home Insurance
- ING Direct Home Insurance
- John Lewis Home Insurance
- Kwik-Fit Home Insurance
- Legal & General Home Insurance
- Liverpool Victoria Home Insurance
- M&S Home Insurance
- More Than Home Insurance
- Nationwide Home Insurance
- Natwest Home Insurance
- Norwich Union Home Insurance
- Post Office Home Insurance
- Privilege Home Insurance
- Prudential Home Insurance
- RAC Home Insurance
- Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance
- RIAS Home Insurance
- Saga Home Insurance
- Sainsbury’s Home Insurance
- Santander Home Insurance
- Sheilas’ Wheels Home Insurance
- Swiftcover Home Insurance
- Swinton Home Insurance
- TESCO Compare Home Insurance
- TESCO Finest Home Insurance
- Tesco Home Insurance
- TESCO Value Home Insurance
- Virgin Money Home Insurance
- Yes Home Insurance
- Zurich Connect Home Insurance