Santander Home Insurance
Compare Santander Home Insurance With UK Market
Get 35% off when you buy online*
*Introductory offer is for combined buildings and contents cover, which excludes optional covers. Minimum premiums apply. Excludes SELECT Premier.
Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited
Buildings cover – Up to £1 million for damage or loss to your walls, roofs, driveways and patios, as well as permanent fixtures such as kitchen units, bathroom fittings and fitted wardrobes.
Contents cover – Up to £50,000 for your household goods on a new-for-old basis, including furniture, carpets, home entertainment equipment, frozen foods and business equipment.
Trace and access – Up to £5,000 for cost of replacing any parts of the building that were damaged to help get to escaping water.
Alternative accommodation – Up to £40,000 (if you have combined buildings and contents insurance) towards alternative accommodation for you, your family and pets if your home is uninhabitable while it’s being repaired after an insured event.
24/7 emergency helpline
Optional upgrade to Home Plus or Select Premier Insurance, giving you cover for personal possessions , accidental damage, home emergency, family legal protection, professional fees
What’s not covered
Wear and tear, maintenance and routine decoration
Theft, vandalism or accidental damage caused by a paying guest or tenant
The cost of repairing or replacing items following a mechanical or electrical fault
Damage or theft if the house has been unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row
- A personal claims manager if you need to move out of your home due to a claim
- Worldwide protection for your credit cards, debit cards and cash up to £500
- Cover for underground pipes comes as standard, so any accidental damage to those you are responsible for between your property and the mains is taken care of
- No need to specify single items worth less than £2,500 such as jewelry and paintings kept within the home
What’s not covered
- Home cover does not include loss or damage to valuables, personal belongings and pedal cycles when away from the home (available with Saga additional cover options – Personal Belongings Cover and Specified Pedal Cycles Outside the Home Cover).
- Home cover does not include loss or damage to contents in student accommodation.
- Certain loss or damage when your home is lent, shared, let or sub-let.
Cover for your property, possessions and more.
Damage to your property and possessions
- Caused by events such as fire, theft, subsidence and flooding
- Includes damage to garages and outbuildings and their contents
Cost of alternative accommodation (including loss of rent)
- We’ll pay for accommodation if your home can’t be lived in due to damage covered by your policy
- And if you’re a landlord, we’ll also cover you for any lost rent while the property is uninhabitable
Liability protection for injuries or property damage
- If you’re legally liable as the homeowner or occupier or if you’re an employer of domestic services (eg a cleaner)
What’s not covered
Unfortunately, we can’t cover everything – make sure you’re happy with what’s not covered, including:
- Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
- Damage that’s been caused over time
- Fences, gates or hedges damaged in a storm
- Claims for poor workmanship or faulty design
Take a look at our policy wording for full details of what’s not covered.
* Excludes Home Emergency and Home Legal expenses
- Comparing quotes from a range of providers lets you find the best deal at the best price, with the add-ons you need
- Quickly compare home insurance quotes
- We’ll show you which home insurance quotes are the cheapest along with claims experience, a quality score, home emergency cover and cover level
- Once you’ve found a policy that suits your needs, you can call or click through to apply for your home insurance policy directly with the insurer
- *51% of consumers could save up to 41.70%, or £90.17. Consumer Intelligence, November 2019
- Save £££’s online with our home insurance policies
- Buildings, contents or combined insurance available
- Add on optional extras
- Low prices with great value insurance
- Flexible, comprehensive home insurance
- CCJ’s, bankruptcy or offenders acceptable
- Cover available for vacant property
- Non standard construction insurance available
- 9 out of 10 customers rate overall claims service as excellent
What do I need to get a quote?
Getting a home insurance quote normally takes about 8 minutes. But having the following at hand could speed things up:
Your property’s build date: you can find the actual date in your mortgage survey or home buyer’s report
The date you bought your house or when you moved in.
Locks and alarms: Confused provide useful lock pictures to help you find which locks you have fitted.
Details and cost of any claims in the last five years: This’ll be stated in your renewal documents. Alternatively contact your previous insurer.
The rebuild cost of your house: Confused will often fill this in for you. But you can also calculate it yourself, or hire a chartered surveyor to carry out an assessment.
The total cost of your personal belongings: If you don’t know this, you can use the Confused.com contents calculator.
The details of any items you wish to insure that are worth over £1,000.
Roof type: Which materials are used on your roof – such as asphalt shingle, tile, slate or thatched.
What does home insurance cover?
Home insurance falls into 3 categories – buildings, contents and combined buildings and contents insurance policies.
Buildings insurance covers the bricks and mortar of your home, and contents insurance covers your belongings. Typically, contents are anything you can pack up and take with you if you move home, such as furniture, clothes, and TVs.
Combined buildings and contents insurance policies can help reduce the cost of home insurance, but they’re usually only suitable if you own your home. They insure your property against damage, but also cover your belongings under the same insurance policy.
You can compare all three policy types through Confused.com.
You can also add optional extras to your policy, such as home emergency cover and legal cover – however, some providers might include these as standard. Accidental damage cover is another extra worth considering, as it covers unintentional one-off incidents that harm your property or its contents.
For example, putting your foot through the floor when you’re up in the loft, or spilling red wine on the carpet.
- Cheaper insurance based on what you actually own – Every policy includes a free video survey with one of our accredited surveyors – meaning that in just 15 minutes, you’ll have an accurate figure of the exact level of cover you need
- Quick and easy claims – for items under £5,000 the survey will also serve as proof of ownership – meaning smoother, faster claims
- Get a quote in 60 seconds
- Your data is protected by bank and government grade technology, ensuring the highest levels of security and privacy. Your data will never be shared without your consent
- No cancellation fees
- No administration fees to make changes
- 24/7 UK based claims service
- Contents cover can include bicycle & gadget cover
- Damaged items get replaced with new
- Underwritten by Great Lakes, a fully owned subsidiary of Munich Re Group who are one of the world’s leading reinsurers
Compare Santander Home Insurance
Santander offer a range of home insurance options administered and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited. They currently offer a 10% cashback deal for 1|2|3 World and Santander Select customers.
With Santander you can receive:
- Buildings cover
- Contents cover
- Joint buildings and contents cover
- Various additional cover options (including Legal Services and Home Emergency Cover)
Choosing a Santander home insurance policy
Santander offer two main levels of insurance:
- Defaqto 5 Star rated unlimited buildings and contents cover
- Defaqto 3 Star rated contents cover up to £25,000 (for properties with 3 or fewer bedrooms)
With Santander home insurance you can take advantage of the following:
- Unlimited buildings cover (for loss or damage to a property e.g. from fire, storm or flood)
- Contents cover (for loss or damage to your belongings in the home e.g. from theft or fire)
- Accidental damage cover included as standard with contents insurance for damage to televisions and DVD players
- Accidental damage cover included as standard with buildings insurance for damage to fixed glass and sanitary ware
- No interest charged if you pay your premiums monthly by Direct Debit
Optional extra cover
For an additional fee, you can choose various types of optional extra cover with Santander home insurance to give you a policy tailored to your needs.
Personal belongings cover
This provides a wider level of cover for your personal belongings, pedal cycles, money and credit cards for losses or damage in and away from the home, anywhere in the world.
Extra accidental damage cover
This provides additional cover for accidents around the home. This includes things such as wine spilt on a carpet or sofa (if you have contents cover) or putting your foot through a ceiling when carrying out DIY (if you have buildings cover).
Legal services cover
This can provide a lawyer and up to £50,000 in legal costs to pursue or defend disputes in court.
Home emergency cover
This provides up to £1,000 per claim to cover parts, labour and VAT for an approved tradesperson to carry out repairs if there’s an emergency in your home covered by the policy.
What is a home insurance excess?
When you make a claim on your home insurance, you will need to pay an excess. This is a fixed amount that is deducted from the amount the insurer pays out on your claim. So, for example, if you make a claim for £500 and your excess is £50, you will only receive £450.
There are normally two parts to an excess: a compulsory excess and a voluntary excess. The compulsory excess will be set by your insurance provider, while you will choose the amount of the voluntary excess.
The higher you set your voluntary excess, the more you will have to pay when you make a claim, but the less you will pay in monthly premiums and the fewer restrictions there are likely to be around making a claim.
Home Insurance Providers
- AVIVA Home Insurance
- Columbus Home Insurance
- AA Home Insurance
- Abbey Home Insurance
- Admiral Home Insurance
- Age UK Home Insurance
- AIG Home Insurance
- ASDA Home Insurance
- AXA Home Insurance
- Bank of Scotland Home Insurance
- Barclays Home Insurance
- Birmingham Midshires Home Insurance
- Bradford and Bingley Home Insurance
- British Gas Home Insurance
- Castle Cover Home Insurance
- Churchill Home Insurance
- CIS Home Insurance
- Confused.com Home Insurance
- Co-operative Home Insurance
- Cornhill Direct Home Insurance
- Direct Line Home Insurance
- Direct Choice Home Insurance
- Elephant Home Insurance
- Endsleigh Home Insurance
- esure Home Insurance
- First4 Home Insurance
- GoCompare Home Insurance
- Greenbee Home Insurance
- Halifax Home Insurance
- Hastings Direct Home Insurance
- Hiscox Home Insurance
- Hiscox Overseas Home Insurance
- HSBC Home Insurance
- ING Direct Home Insurance
- John Lewis Home Insurance
- Kwik-Fit Home Insurance
- Legal & General Home Insurance
- Liverpool Victoria Home Insurance
- M&S Home Insurance
- More Than Home Insurance
- Nationwide Home Insurance
- Natwest Home Insurance
- Norwich Union Home Insurance
- Post Office Home Insurance
- Privilege Home Insurance
- Prudential Home Insurance
- RAC Home Insurance
- Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance
- RIAS Home Insurance
- Saga Home Insurance
- Sainsbury’s Home Insurance
- Santander Home Insurance
- Sheilas’ Wheels Home Insurance
- Swiftcover Home Insurance
- Swinton Home Insurance
- TESCO Compare Home Insurance
- TESCO Finest Home Insurance
- Tesco Home Insurance
- TESCO Value Home Insurance
- Virgin Money Home Insurance
- Yes Home Insurance
- Zurich Connect Home Insurance