John Lewis Home Insurance

Compare John Lewis Home Insurance

John Lewis Home Insurance
ProviderBuildings Max Std CoverContents Max Std CoverFeatures:Get Quotes

Get a quote today and you could save 15% when you buy online. (Discount includes introductory and web discount, first year premium only. Minimum Premiums apply)

Get Quotes >
Compare Home Insurance Quotes
Provided via:Total Number of InsurersContents InsuranceBuilding InsuranceLandlord & Tenant InsuranceGet Quotes
70YesYesYesGet Quotes >
80+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
70+YesYesYesGet Quotes >
Compare - Latest Home Insurance Deals
ProviderBuildings Max Std CoverContents Max Std CoverFeatures:Get Quotes
Rebuild Cost£50,000

5 Star home insurance from just £99
10% of all customers buying home buildings and contents insurance with us from June 2017 to August 2017 paid £99 or less (Source: Aviva). The price you pay will depend upon individual circumstances, cover chosen and payment method selected.

Get Quotes >
£1 million£100,000

Over 50s Home Cover - Buildings and contents insurance from £141 a year – 51% of customers who paid annually and took out a new policy between May and July 2015 paid this or even less

Get Quotes >

Five star rated Platinum Home Insurance.
(Moneyfacts Home Insurance 2018). Choose from three levels of cover, covering some or all of: home emergency, boiler cover, family legal protection, accidental damage on both buildings and contents, personal possessions, bicycles, matching items, trace and access. Plus add optional extras. 24-hour Emergency Helpline

Get Quotes >

UK's number 1 rated home insurance provider. We compare policies from leading providers as well as our own to find you the right cover. Prices fixed for 2 years

Get Quotes >

Great value 'Defaqto' 5 Star rated cover. £1 million cover if you need to rebuild your home, choose up to £150,000 for your contents cover, 24-hour UK emergency helpline

Get Quotes >

5 Star Defaqto award-winning insurer.
Pay monthly at no extra cost (0% APR Representative). Low excess of just £45 (apart from escaping water and subsidence). No hidden admin fees. 'New for old' cover. Age UK Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited and provided by a limited panel of insurers.

Get Quotes >

Get a quote today and you could save 15% when you buy online. (Discount includes introductory and web discount, first year premium only. Minimum Premiums apply)

Get Quotes >

Get quotes from over 65 trusted home insurance brands in minutes. 20% of consumers could achieve a saving of £158 with (based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 1 October to 31 October 2016)

Get Quotes >

*There is no total sum insured, but other limits apply including single article and total valuables limits.

** Up to 50% offer includes introductory 25% discount applied to annual home insurance premium and not to additional extras. £30 gift card applies when purchasing new combined cover.

***99% of people who had a buildings and contents quote during May 2012 received a discount of at least 15%.

♦ Not available to customers renewing their existing cover

 ****Discount applies when you buy buildings and contents together. 30% combined and 20% online discount deducted consecutively. Excludes optional covers. Minimum premiums apply. New customers only.

Is John Lewis home insurance right for you?

Home insurance comes in many forms but it basically falls in to three categories:

  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Combined buildings and contents insurance

    Which of these you need will likely depend on your living arrangements. If you own your own home, you will usually need buildings and contents insurance - indeed, having buildings insurance is usually a requirement for getting a mortgage. If you are renting you will likely only need contents insurance as you landlord is responsible for insuring the building.


    It’s worth noting that some properties, such as listed buildings or buildings with thatched roofs, may require specialist cover and therefore, would not be covered by a standard policy.


    Make sure you always read the fine print of policies as more and more companies are now excluding certain things which you may need and it is good to be aware of extra charges, such as compulsory excesses, exit charges and interest on monthly payments which some companies do charge.


    Choosing home insurance from John Lewis

    John Lewis offer three levels of cover: Essential, Plus and Premier. They also offer a discount if you book online.


    John Lewis Essential Cover

    With this policy you can benefit from:

    • Buildings cover up to £400,000
    • Contents cover up to £50,000
    • Alternative accommodation during an emergency up to £60,000
    • Optional Home Emergency Cover – up to £500


    John Lewis Cover Plus

    This policy provides:

    • Buildings cover up to £1,000,000
    • Contents cover up to £75,000
    • Alternative accommodation during an emergency up to £115,000
    • Standard cover for accidental damage
    • Optional Homer emergency cover – up to £1000


    John Lewis Cover Premier

    John Lewis' most comprehensive home insurance policy includes benefits such as:

    • Unlimited Buildings cover
    • Unlimited Contents cover
    • Unlimited alternative accommodation in case of emergency
    • Full cover for accidental damage
    • Home emergency cover up to £1,500


    Specialist Home Insurance

    John Lewis also provide specialist home insurance which offers:

    • Specialist cover for additional homes, holiday homes and buy-to-let properties, both UK and abroad
    • Cover for properties with unusual features such as thatched/flat rooves, listed buildings etc.
    • Personal protection for your possessions, both UK and abroad
    • Accidental cover for buildings and contents
    • Specialist cover for fine art an antiques


    What is an excess?

    Most insurance policies require you to pay a fixed sum known as an "excess" when you make a claim. In general, the higher your excess, the lower your monthly premiums and and the fewer restrictions they are upon making a claim


    An example of how excess works: if you have a claim worth £300 and you have a £50 excess, you'll only receive £250 from your provider.


    Generally, there are two kinds of excess: a compulsory excess and a voluntary excess. A compulsory excess is set by your insurer whereas a voluntary excess is set by you. Choosing a higher voluntary excess will make your monthly premiums cheaper, but will cost you more if you do need to make a claim.